Re: [The 6000 Club] (unknown)

  • rarecarvr
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      I own a 89 STE and a 90 SE AWD and the 90 SE is mostly similiar
      optionwise but the STE is the most loaded Abody GM car ever made.
      I guess Pontiac found it too expensive to build the STE AWD a second
      year so they took away some of the "bells and whistles".
      The SE AWD is still an awesome car but the STE has more "goodies".

      rarecarvr
      89 STE AWD maroon
      90 SE AWD blue
      -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..." <mcalkins3@f...>
      wrote:
      > Well captain, its def a 1990 so there for its an SE AWD. I assumed
      it
      > was an STE, because of all the options. These 6000's arent my
      thing but
      > thanks for the info.
      >
      > Quoting ste89awd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>:
      >

      > > Again, the question becomes is it an '89 STE AWD, or a '90 SE
      AWD,
      > > because there's no such thing as a '90 STE.
      > >
      > > "I to have a 1990 STE AWD i wouldnt mind selling. It too suffers
      > > from
      > > leaky rear struts. I dont have a desire to own the car. I have a
      > > much
      > > faster J-body that i'm tending too, I'm looking to get around
      > > 1100.00
      > > US for mine. Its really clean inside and out a few dents and
      dings
      > > which is expected for a car of the year but never the less good
      > > shape."
      > >
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS SPONSOR

      > > [1]

      > > Service[4].
      > >

      > > Links:
      > > ------
      > > [1]

      http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rnvnoo/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117
      6/D=groups/S=1705126213:HM/EXP=1101954582/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0
      /*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400
      > > [3]
      > > mailto:the6000club-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
      subject=Unsubscribe

    • mcalkins3@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        Oh so your sayin that urs is better? Well mine is custom lowered in the
        rear end.;) so there!

        http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rnvnoo/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117%5b2]

        http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129nl4kvc/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705126213:HM/EXP=1101976012/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400
        > [8]
        > mailto:the6000club-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe
        > [9] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rarecarvr
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          Then our cars are the exact same-mine has the lowered rear end
          option too LOL!
          As those here have said there is a guy here that can rebuild those
          struts.

          wrote:
          > Oh so your sayin that urs is better? Well mine is custom lowered
          in the
          > rear end.;) so there!
          >
          > Quoting rarecarvr <RarecarVR@a...>:
          >

          > > I own a 89 STE and a 90 SE AWD and the 90 SE is mostly similiar
          > > optionwise but the STE is the most loaded Abody GM car ever
          made.
          > > I guess Pontiac found it too expensive to build the STE AWD a
          second

          > > year so they took away some of the "bells and whistles".
          > > The SE AWD is still an awesome car but the STE has
          more "goodies".

          > > rarecarvr
          > > 89 STE AWD maroon
          > > 90 SE AWD blue

          > > -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..."
          > > wrote:
          > > > Well captain, its def a 1990 so there for its an SE AWD. I
          assumed

          > > it
          > > > was an STE, because of all the options. These 6000's arent my
          > > thing but
          > > > thanks for the info.
          > > >
          > > > Quoting ste89awd :

          SE
          > > AWD,

          > > suffers
          > > dings

          Terms
          > > of

          http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rnvnoo/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117
          [2]

          6/D=groups/S=1705126213:HM/EXP=1101954582/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0
          > > /*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400[3]
          > > subject=Unsubscribe
          > > > >

          > > YAHOO! GROUPS SPONSOR

          > > [6]

          > > Service[9].
          > >

          > > Links:
          > > ------
          > > [2]

          http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rnvnoo/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117
          > > [3] http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400
          > > [5] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > > [6]

          http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129nl4kvc/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117
          6/D=groups/S=1705126213:HM/EXP=1101976012/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0
          /*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400
          > > [8]
          > > mailto:the6000club-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
          subject=Unsubscribe
          > > [9] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • bmm354
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            Don't automatically assume the struts are bad - it could be the
            compressor. My car had a lowered rear end when I bought it a few
            years ago, and it turned out to be an electrical problem w/ the
            compressor. Fixed that and found (much to my relief!) that the struts
            hold air just fine...at least for now.

            --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "rarecarvr" <RarecarVR@a...>
            wrote:

            > Then our cars are the exact same-mine has the lowered rear end
            > option too LOL!
            > As those here have said there is a guy here that can rebuild those
            > struts.

            > -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..."
            <mcalkins3@f...>
            > wrote:
            > > Oh so your sayin that urs is better? Well mine is custom lowered
            > in the
            > > rear end.;) so there!

          • rarecarvr
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
              My compressor runs every 10 mins-in fact when I park the 90 SE for
              long periods I have to disconnect the battery or it will go dead.
              It has been 4 months since I last started it up and the back end is
              saggin like a SOB.
              I bought a pair from Lapurr that hold air and are in decent
              condition so they will be going in the car.
              If that does not work and there are no other leaks I will be
              contacting Tim.
              I may for the old struts off the car.
              My 89 AWD STE has good struts for now but I know they will not last
              forever.Would be great to have a mint pair for spares.

              rarecarvr
              got a new car trailer to tow my AWDs without removing the driveshaft-
              towed with a tow dolly before.

              - In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, bmm354 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Don't automatically assume the struts are bad - it could be the
              > compressor. My car had a lowered rear end when I bought it a few
              > years ago, and it turned out to be an electrical problem w/ the
              > compressor. Fixed that and found (much to my relief!) that the
              struts
              > hold air just fine...at least for now.
              >

              > --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "rarecarvr" <RarecarVR@a...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Then our cars are the exact same-mine has the lowered rear end
              > > option too LOL!
              > > As those here have said there is a guy here that can rebuild
              those
              > > struts.

              > > -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..."
              > <mcalkins3@f...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Oh so your sayin that urs is better? Well mine is custom
              lowered
              > > in the
              > > > rear end.;) so there!

            • Tim Anderson
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                When/if you swap rear struts, I'd be interested in buying the old pair to
                use in pre-building struts (to reduce turn-around time).

                BTW, I just ship Bill C a pair of struts, he should have received them
                today.

                Thnx,

                Tim

                _____

                My compressor runs every 10 mins-in fact when I park the 90 SE for
                long periods I have to disconnect the battery or it will go dead.
                It has been 4 months since I last started it up and the back end is
                saggin like a SOB.
                I bought a pair from Lapurr that hold air and are in decent
                condition so they will be going in the car.
                If that does not work and there are no other leaks I will be
                contacting Tim.
                I may for the old struts off the car.
                My 89 AWD STE has good struts for now but I know they will not last
                forever.Would be great to have a mint pair for spares.

                rarecarvr
                got a new car trailer to tow my AWDs without removing the driveshaft-
                towed with a tow dolly before.

                - In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, bmm354 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Don't automatically assume the struts are bad - it could be the
                > compressor. My car had a lowered rear end when I bought it a few
                > years ago, and it turned out to be an electrical problem w/ the
                > compressor. Fixed that and found (much to my relief!) that the
                struts
                > hold air just fine...at least for now.
                >

                > --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "rarecarvr" <RarecarVR@a...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Then our cars are the exact same-mine has the lowered rear end
                > > option too LOL!
                > > As those here have said there is a guy here that can rebuild
                those
                > > struts.

                > > -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..."
                > <mcalkins3@f...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Oh so your sayin that urs is better? Well mine is custom
                lowered
                > > in the
                > > > rear end.;) so there!

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d3ffv5/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705126213:HM/EXP=1102032788/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http:/www.n
                etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                :HM/A=2434971/rand=296795399>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • bmm354
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
                  There's no question it's the struts then--bummer. I just wanted to
                  mention the compressor just in case. Of the 3 STE AWDs I test drove
                  (incl. the one I ended up buying), none had a working compressor. I
                  couldn't even turn it on w/ the inflator switch in the trunk. It's
                  likely that the compressor in the other two cars I drove was
                  disconnected because it ran all the time due to leaky struts.

                  wrote:

                  > My compressor runs every 10 mins-in fact when I park the 90 SE for
                  > long periods I have to disconnect the battery or it will go dead.
                  > It has been 4 months since I last started it up and the back end is
                  > saggin like a SOB.
                  > I bought a pair from Lapurr that hold air and are in decent
                  > condition so they will be going in the car.
                  > If that does not work and there are no other leaks I will be
                  > contacting Tim.
                  > I may for the old struts off the car.
                  > My 89 AWD STE has good struts for now but I know they will not last
                  > forever.Would be great to have a mint pair for spares.
                  >
                  > rarecarvr
                  > got a new car trailer to tow my AWDs without removing the
                  driveshaft-
                  > towed with a tow dolly before.

                  > - In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, bmm354 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Don't automatically assume the struts are bad - it could be the
                  > > compressor. My car had a lowered rear end when I bought it a few
                  > > years ago, and it turned out to be an electrical problem w/ the
                  > > compressor. Fixed that and found (much to my relief!) that the
                  > struts
                  > > hold air just fine...at least for now.
                  > >

                  > > --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "rarecarvr" <RarecarVR@a...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Then our cars are the exact same-mine has the lowered rear end
                  > > > option too LOL!
                  > > > As those here have said there is a guy here that can rebuild
                  > those
                  > > > struts.

                  > > > -- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "mcalkins3@f..."
                  > > <mcalkins3@f...>
                  > lowered
                  > > > in the

                • Tim Anderson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
                    On the plus side, air compressors are easy to get ahold of at the junk yard,
                    and there are a lot of GM cars that have auto-leveling compressors (like
                    Buick Riviera & Reatta, Cadilac Seville, etc.) that should be a direct fit,
                    or easily modified to fit.

                    There are two other things that can cause the compressor not to run (besides
                    a bad compressor & being disconnected):
                    1. There is a relay located inside the trunk that controls the compressor.
                    It is behind the trunk liner, down low, inside the left rear fendor (at
                    least on the '89 STE).
                    2. The ride height sensor.

                    Again, there are other cars beside the 6000STE that should have similar
                    enough parts to be used.

                    Tim Anderson

                    _____