6000 psycho

  • ste89awd
    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 17, 2001
      Hello fellow 6000 frieks. My very first car was a
      stock '86 6000. I didn't know much about cars, I just
      had to have something to drive after I got my
      license. Eventually, I would want a car with some options
      and that's when I saw the vehicle that would change
      my entire outlook on cars: the Pontiac 6000 STE. I
      had never seen anything like it, not even the newer
      cars. I became a certified car nut after purchasing it.
      It had 164k on the odometer, but I put my faith in
      the 2.8 MPFI anyway. It didn't disappoint. It died
      5years and 50k later, but it was sure fun while it
      lasted. I painted it all dark maroon from top to bottom,
      including the ground effects and spoiler I added from an SE
      with gold accents. Next, I put racing strips along
      with a massive Pontiac sticker on the windshield all
      of which I cut out my self from a rocker panel kit.
      I also installed custom 16" 5-star rims with
      225-50R 16 for the tires. Man it looked bad! (I mean that
      in a good way!) Like an idiot, I never took a
      picture of it. I am definitely not going to make that
      mistake with the one I currently have. You see, the whole
      time I had the '86, I was trying to find an '89. Yes,
      the all-wheel drive one, the last year of the STE
      package and man did it go out in a blaze of glory. I
      searched for several years, willing to buy from any state.
      By some insane chance, when my old car died, I found
      one for sale a few towns over for me! I couldn't
      believe it! I went to see it the same day. I pulled up
      and immediately recognized the dark blue trimmed in
      gold. I really wanted the dark red (these were the only
      two colors they came in with gray the only interior
      color), but beggers can't be choosers. It needed a lot of
      work, but I was ready to pour blood, sweat, and tears
      into it. The grueling search was over, and man was it
      worth the wait. It had the seats that would later be
      for the Bonneville SSE. It had struts at all 4
      corners (back ones were self-leveling air in STE
      tradition), 4-wheel ABS disc brakes, and generation 2
      steering wheel controls. The center console was a little
      different. The coin holder had been replaced with buttons
      for the 3 separate air lumbar adjustments and power
      headrests (a pretty nice upgrade)! The 6 cassette holder
      had been chopped down to 2 in order to make room for
      the AWD "Lock" switch (which locks the center
      differential for extreme situations). The rims were a polished
      version of the Pontiac Transport rims except the slits
      have gold on the inside. I did replace those with the
      same 5-stars from my '86. The only thing I didn't like
      was the placement of the spare tire inside the trunk
      in order to make room for the rear transfer case
      underneath. I will post pictures of all the pieces unique to
      the AWD after I've fixed it up. It could be a while
      since I'm finding parts next to impossible to locate.
      But I want the word to get out: THE ALL WHEEL DRIVE
      PONTIAC 6000'S DO EXIST! And I will gladly take it over
      any car on the market today! If anyone wants to know
      more about this car, ask away! I searched a long time
      for a site like this. I don't know why it never came
      up on any of my previouse searches, but I'm pumped
      that I found it!
    • lapurr_n_smurf
      Message 195 of 195 , Nov 28, 2005
        Not trying to take a sale away from repo here or anything. But I have
        to mention that there is a new 6000 gas tank on ebay for 44 bucks. As
        well as 2 Fog lights. There is also a grill for a 82 6000.

        Brian

        --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "architect_bd99"