Replacing ABS pressure switch

  • bmm354
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      Has anybody here replaced their car's ABS pressure switch? If so,
      when you removed it did brake fluid pour out, or was it more of a
      dribble? I'm guessing with a fully discharged system it'd be a
      dribble and not a better-have-a-bucket-ready stream of fluid, but
      just wondering what to expect.

      My switch has issues. The red brake warning light no longer comes on
      at start up, even with a fully discharged accumulator. (Red light
      should come on for ~30 sec. with fully discharged accumulator.)
      Continuity checks per the service manual indicate that the switch is
      indeed faulty.

      The pump runs normally and the brakes work fine, since the part of
      the pressure switch that controls the pump still works. However I
      would have no warning if the pump failed and/or pressure was lost.
      Since this is an obvious safety concern the car is parked for now.
    • Christopher Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        Is the red brake light functional? The bulb may be burned out. Set
        the parking brake and see if it lights.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
          The bulb is OK and does come on with the emerg. brake. I wish it was
          just the bulb--much cheaper than an $80 switch...

          --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Ray"
          <steawd6000@y...> wrote:
          > Is the red brake light functional? The bulb may be burned out.
          Set
          > the parking brake and see if it lights.

        • TOM MANNISI

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              What exactly is the process for removing the accumulator? My
              good '89 AWD is going to need it in the worst way. The ABS has been
              out since day one (like 99% of the Teves equipped cars), but that's
              not my main concern right now. The brakes started acting up a few
              weeks ago. Everything starts out fine, but after only a few minutes
              of driving, the pump motor won't stop pressurizing, so I'm going to
              try an accumulator to see if this cures the problem. Need to do it
              soon before I burn out the pump motor, too.

              -About 2 months ago I replaced the ABS pressure switch (and
              accumulator) on my 88 STE. The process only took about 10 minutes.
              Of course, be sure to de-pressurize ! Also there was no brake fluid
              loss.
            • cat_lover62002
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                It just threads out of the pump/motor assembly by means an allen
                head in the top of the accumulator. Your pressure switch may be bad
                too, a TSB reads that the contacts inside of the switch will weld
                together causing the pump to run continuosly.

                -Chris Ray

                --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, ste89awd <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > What exactly is the process for removing the accumulator? My
                > good '89 AWD is going to need it in the worst way. The ABS has
                been
                > out since day one (like 99% of the Teves equipped cars), but
                that's
                > not my main concern right now. The brakes started acting up a few
                > weeks ago. Everything starts out fine, but after only a few
                minutes
                > of driving, the pump motor won't stop pressurizing, so I'm going
                > try an accumulator to see if this cures the problem. Need to do
                it
                > soon before I burn out the pump motor, too.
                >

                > -About 2 months ago I replaced the ABS pressure switch (and
                > accumulator) on my 88 STE. The process only took about 10 minutes.
                > Of course, be sure to de-pressurize ! Also there was no brake
                fluid
                > loss.
              • TOM MANNISI
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  After depressurizing the system, use a large allen wrench (not sure what size),
                  in the top hole of the accumulator. Wrap a small shop towel at the base of the ball- seems like it always retains a little pressure. I was impressed with the outcome of this repair (besides the cost-ouch!) with 220,000 the brakes work as good as new!
                  ste89awd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:What exactly is the process for removing the accumulator? My
                  good '89 AWD is going to need it in the worst way. The ABS has been
                  out since day one (like 99% of the Teves equipped cars), but that's
                  not my main concern right now. The brakes started acting up a few
                  weeks ago. Everything starts out fine, but after only a few minutes
                  of driving, the pump motor won't stop pressurizing, so I'm going to
                  try an accumulator to see if this cures the problem. Need to do it
                  soon before I burn out the pump motor, too.

                  -About 2 months ago I replaced the ABS pressure switch (and
                  accumulator) on my 88 STE. The process only took about 10 minutes.
                  Of course, be sure to de-pressurize ! Also there was no brake fluid
                  loss.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  Click Here

                • bmm354
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                    --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, TOM MANNISI <tmannisi@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > About 2 months ago I replaced the ABS pressure switch (and
                    accumulator) on my 88 STE. The process only took about 10 minutes.
                    Of course, be sure to de-pressurize ! Also there was no brake fluid
                    loss.

                    Thanks for the info. That's just what I wanted to hear!
                  • bmm354
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                      As for removing the accumulator, I've heard that a strap oil filter
                      wrench will work too. However I think an allen wrench would work
                      better.

                      wrote:
                      > After depressurizing the system, use a large allen wrench (not
                      sure what size),
                      > in the top hole of the accumulator. Wrap a small shop towel at the
                      base of the ball- seems like it always retains a little pressure. I
                      was impressed with the outcome of this repair (besides the cost-
                      ouch!) with 220,000 the brakes work as good as new!
                      > ste89awd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:What exactly is the
                      process for removing the accumulator? My
                      > good '89 AWD is going to need it in the worst way. The ABS has
                      been
                      > out since day one (like 99% of the Teves equipped cars), but
                      that's
                      > not my main concern right now. The brakes started acting up a few
                      > weeks ago. Everything starts out fine, but after only a few
                      minutes
                      > of driving, the pump motor won't stop pressurizing, so I'm going
                      > try an accumulator to see if this cures the problem. Need to do
                      it
                      > soon before I burn out the pump motor, too.
                      >

                      > -About 2 months ago I replaced the ABS pressure switch (and
                      > accumulator) on my 88 STE. The process only took about 10 minutes.
                      > Of course, be sure to de-pressurize ! Also there was no brake
                      fluid
                      > loss.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                      > Click Here