a hitch on a 6000 ?

  • Michel Leard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      hi all

      its my first pontiac 6000, 1988 and only 58000 km, was to an old lady!

      i was looking for a hitch, and i found one one the scrapeyard for 40$
      (CND)was on a cutlass ciera 1991 (ciera and celebrity i think all
      hitch fit those between 1984 and 1991) BUT the scrapyard cut the
      hitch at the bracket instead of cutting the nuts!

      so i have no vertical bracket... i wonder if i could make them
      weld...one place refuse to do it ...they want to sell me a new hitch
      instead!

      i only plan to haul about 1000 pound so weldin is it ok ?

      tx for all imput
      mike
      shawinigan,pq (CAN)
    • lapurr_n_smurf
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        Dont use the scrap yard hitch if its been cut. With them cutting it
        like that, not only is it a DOT violation for you to use it, its
        also unsafe. Check with AUTOZONE, they have a class one (2000 lbs
        towing limit) for 39.99, or a class 2 (3500 lbs towing limit) for
        134.99. When it comes to towing, i personally trust only new
        products, or factory installed products. You can also have U-Haul
        install a class 2 hitch for 120 and change. and thats installed. So
        there you go.

        I speak from experience, I am DOT certified, and pull trailers every
        day. So im not shooting from the "hip" so to speak.

        Brian

        --- In the6000club@yahoogroups.com, "Michel Leard" <mleard@c...>
        wrote:
        > hi all
        >
        > its my first pontiac 6000, 1988 and only 58000 km, was to an old
        lady!

        > i was looking for a hitch, and i found one one the scrapeyard for
        40$
        > (CND)was on a cutlass ciera 1991 (ciera and celebrity i think all
        > hitch fit those between 1984 and 1991) BUT the scrapyard cut the
        > hitch at the bracket instead of cutting the nuts!
        >
        > so i have no vertical bracket... i wonder if i could make them
        > weld...one place refuse to do it ...they want to sell me a new
        hitch
        > instead!
        >
        > i only plan to haul about 1000 pound so weldin is it ok ?
        >

        > tx for all imput
        > mike
        > shawinigan,pq (CAN)
      • lapurr_n_smurf
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          I apologize, i misquoted the U-Haul price. Its 166 installed.

          Brian
        • Michel Leard
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            ohh about the hitch thx, i just purchased a new one then, it will be
            installed next week.

            while i was at the garage for the hitch, one guy noticed my brake are
            weird... my pontiac 6000 brake more from the rear than the front!!

            after this i was suspicious and did a few try, and effectively when i
            stop the rear brake are braking more than the front... usually its
            the inverse... they say 60 % front, 40 % rear... but in my case its
            not!!

            any hint on this braking woes...? maybe its a common problem on 6000
            that i dont know!...

            what about the stress on the engine hauling 1000-1500 lb... its a 2.5

            im going to new jersey tomorow with my trailer ...

            thanks a lot

            mike
          • lapurr_n_smurf
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              sounds like your rear brakes are either out of adjustment, or
              bad.... dont know what else it could be, the proportioning valve is
              built into the master cylinder. so i dont know.