Re: [The 6000 Club] OH NO OH NO! 87 6000 still won't start.

  • fyoung7803@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2003
      If the starter was workig OK for a time when it was cool, but performance was diminished as the starter got hot, then I suspect the starter. Starters are usually only good for about 70-80K miles of average driving. If the starter has this much mileage on it, replace it. They are cheap enough.

      Fred Young
      1986 STE

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • BROOKS, Cody :-)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2003
        uh... yeah. he does.
        whittlej@... wrote:Unless your friend has a super duty, industrial strength battery charger, the
        battery could still be dead. I suggest trying to jump the car and see what
        happens. If a jump won't turn it over, that might elimate the battery as the
        primary culprit.

        Jerry Whittle
        Belleville, Illinois, USA
        whittlej@...

        Quoting "BROOKS, Cody :-)" <c_t_brooks@...>:

        > the friend put the charger on at high voltage and tried to crank it.
        > dead silence but for the starter relay...
        > whittlej@... wrote:Cody,
        >
        > When you jumped the your car, what happened?????
        >
        > Jerry Whittle
        > Belleville, Illinois, USA
        > whittlej@...
        >
        > Quoting "BROOKS, Cody :-)" <c_t_brooks@...>:
        > >
        > > Heh... Dear Abby,
        > >
        > > I think it might be the starter *and* solenoid. I tried starting
        > the
        > > car last friday when it was hot and it was slow and seemed to be
        > > grinding. It took about ten tries to start. Later on, it seemed to
        > be
        > > working fine, but would grind and go a bit slow sometimes. Sunday
        > > night, the grinding slowed down to a complete stop. Turning the
        > > ignition key, I would just get a clicking noise. I decided to leave
        > it
        > > overnight, since leaving it before had seemed to solve the problem.
        > No
        > > go. Then I was worried. The next day I went out and all it would
        > do
        > > was click. Looking around on the internet for help, I decided to
        > check
        > > all the fuses, and rock the car a little(apparently that can unlock
        > > gear for the starter). Alas! Now it does nothing. When I turn the
        > key
        > > from the off position to start, there is a slight click, not nearly
        > as
        > > pronounced as before. Wondering about this, I found the source of
        > the
        > > clicking: the starter relay switch. A friend said that might be my
        > > problem, he didn't know if it should be clicking, but my perception
        > is
        > > that it is supposed to click, activating the solenoid and the
        > starter,
        > > which seem to do nothing. The friend, who is used to working on
        > older
        > > cars and said mine is much to techy for him(heh... yay) tested how
        > much
        > > power was actually getting to the starter. I watched uneasily from
        > afar
        > > as a burst of sparks erupted from whatever he was doing. He said it
        > was
        > > getting enough power. So... Is there something else I should check
        > > before blaming the starter? Please help.
        > >
        > > Stranded in Canada

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • BROOKS, Cody :-)
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2003
          How much do they cost? I think I have to tow it to a garage to get it fixed since my friend couldn't diagnose it and I can't afford to spend money on the wrong component....
          CB
          fyoung7803@... wrote:
          If the starter was workig OK for a time when it was cool, but performance was diminished as the starter got hot, then I suspect the starter. Starters are usually only good for about 70-80K miles of average driving. If the starter has this much mileage on it, replace it. They are cheap enough.

          Fred Young
          1986 STE

        • ste89awd
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2003
            Well, the car has hit the reserve at $3,500 which is about the max
            blue book value for this car. Problem is, we're more than 3 days
            away from it ending and it's already at about the maximum I'm
            willing to pay for one of these. How so many people got so
            interested in this car and are willing to pay THAT much more than
            it's worth is beyond me. I smell something fishy going on if you
            know what I mean. I'd hate to think that and would like to give the
            benefit of a doubt, but, well, this is eBay and you got to admit
            something seems very odd here. I KNOW this car is not THAT popular!
            We'll see what happens here.
          • Brooksc
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
              hahaha. wow. I was dumb a couple years ago.

              to think i've worked as a driver for Lordco Parts, and as a partsman
              at Canadian Tire since then...

              seems to me now that based on what I said, the solenoid went, and then
              I killed the starter. smart move.