Re: Russ for Valentines? (SA4QE special)

  • halfbaconsandwich
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      Love-ly idea, Richard.

      Here's a favourite quote for Valentine's Day:-

      "He loved her simply because she was. What a thing, thought
      Jachin-Boaz. Love without purpose."

      (The Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz, p.34 in Picador edition publ.
      by Pan Books 1991)

      A Hoban novel for a Valentine's Day gift would probably have to be
      Amaryllis Night And Day. Not only is it love and romance, sensitive and
      complex, hobanesque fantasy-reality with soft colours and crazy glass,
      but also, (more important, you might say, on such a day,) it has a happy
      ending.

      Emmae

      --- In the-kraken@yahoogroups.com, Lindsay Edmunds <wordshapes_le@...>
      wrote:

      > Here's one:
      >
      > "We smiled at each other over our glasses, time seemed full and easy,
      available
      > in unlimited amounts. George seemed to carry a clear space about him
      that made
      > all things plain and simple where he was."
      >
      > â€"Turtle Diary

    • Richard Cooper
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
        Belated thanks, Emmae! It's funny you should say Amaryllis because that's
        instinctively the one I thought of as well. Of course the Lenore story is
        less than happy but then that's all a part of it. I daresay no Hoban book
        would be complete without a Lenore of some kind, to a greater or lesser
        extent.

        Richard