torture! Re: [the-enclave] Re: Just need to grip!

  • blackwell.raven
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@...> wrote:

      > Sigh... I'll never live down the whole *dragons are evil* thing, will
      I?
      > But then, evil and good are what we debate here, yes? Which is more
      > evil, the dragon who likes to sleep with mages (who doesn't?)

      Is it just me, or this mroe 'rape' than sleep with? Dragoms don't seem
      to make considerate lovers. Plus they are the daddies of devil spawn.
      Ewww- who knows where that thing was? ;>

      and eat
      > humans for dessert, or the seraphs who kill nearly 6 billion humans?

      My mentality is simple- not good or evil but is it against me or for
      me? I'm perfectly willing to accept that other people think of me as
      evil, so long as I keep to go on living.

      > What is evil? Is evil in the eyes of the beholder? Is evil universal?
      > Is good universal? When do they cross over? How do we tell which is
      > which when they are killing us?

      The importal words of Ash from "Army of Darkness' said it best: "Good,
      bad- I'm the one with the gun." ;>

      Raven
    • Daniel Davis
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
        Ya know, I like a bit of moral ambiguity, especially in stories.
        Who's to say what is evil? One man's evil may very well be another
        man's necessity or good even. What does the orc feel about the
        paladin that comes while he's away on patrol and slaughters his family
        and friends in their lair? The orc doesn't think the paladin is a just
        man in his mission or doing right. He's gonna feel rage at the
        horrible coward that butchered his family and will want to find him to
        draw his entrails out through his mouth and crunch on his bones. Each
        instance is seen by one's own morality. It's things like that that I
        like to toss into my own writing, just to make the reader think a bit.

        --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "blackwell.raven"
        <blackwell.raven@...> wrote:

        > --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sigh... I'll never live down the whole *dragons are evil* thing, will
        > I?
        > > But then, evil and good are what we debate here, yes? Which is more
        > > evil, the dragon who likes to sleep with mages (who doesn't?)
        >
        > Is it just me, or this mroe 'rape' than sleep with? Dragoms don't seem
        > to make considerate lovers. Plus they are the daddies of devil spawn.
        > Ewww- who knows where that thing was? ;>
        >
        > and eat
        > > humans for dessert, or the seraphs who kill nearly 6 billion humans?
        >
        > My mentality is simple- not good or evil but is it against me or for
        > me? I'm perfectly willing to accept that other people think of me as
        > evil, so long as I keep to go on living.
        >
        > > What is evil? Is evil in the eyes of the beholder? Is evil universal?
        > > Is good universal? When do they cross over? How do we tell which is
        > > which when they are killing us?
        >
        > The importal words of Ash from "Army of Darkness' said it best: "Good,
        > bad- I'm the one with the gun." ;>
        >
        > Raven

      • Faith Hunter
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
          <laughing>
          You put things so clearly!
          Faith

          <blackwell.raven@...> wrote:

          > --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sigh... I'll never live down the whole *dragons are evil* thing,
          will
          > I?
          > > But then, evil and good are what we debate here, yes? Which is
          more
          > > evil, the dragon who likes to sleep with mages (who doesn't?)
          >
          > Is it just me, or this mroe 'rape' than sleep with? Dragoms don't
          seem
          > to make considerate lovers. Plus they are the daddies of devil
          spawn.
          > Ewww- who knows where that thing was? ;>
          >
          > and eat
          > > humans for dessert, or the seraphs who kill nearly 6 billion
          humans?

          > My mentality is simple- not good or evil but is it against me or
          for
          > me? I'm perfectly willing to accept that other people think of me
          as
          > evil, so long as I keep to go on living.
          >
          > > What is evil? Is evil in the eyes of the beholder? Is evil
          universal?
          > > Is good universal? When do they cross over? How do we tell which
          is
          > > which when they are killing us?
          >
          > The importal words of Ash from "Army of Darkness' said it
          best: "Good,
          > bad- I'm the one with the gun." ;>
          >
          > Raven

        • blackwell.raven
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
            --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@...> wrote:

            > <laughing>
            > You put things so clearly!

            I like bold, clear lines in my life. Makes things easier to deal with.
            I have a line. Cross it and I smile- but not in a good way. ;>

            Raven
          • blackwell.raven
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
              --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Davis"
              <daniel.r.davis.sjv@...> wrote:

              > Ya know, I like a bit of moral ambiguity, especially in stories.
              > Who's to say what is evil? One man's evil may very well be another
              > man's necessity or good even. What does the orc feel about the
              > paladin that comes while he's away on patrol and slaughters his family
              > and friends in their lair? The orc doesn't think the paladin is a just
              > man in his mission or doing right. He's gonna feel rage at the
              > horrible coward that butchered his family and will want to find him to
              > draw his entrails out through his mouth and crunch on his bones. Each
              > instance is seen by one's own morality. It's things like that that I
              > like to toss into my own writing, just to make the reader think a bit.

              Right and wrong are for the most part determined by what side you pick.
              In the Faithverse, Light and Darkness are pretty well defined as the
              Christian eptimoe of godo and evil. However, the Darkness is portrayed
              as so vile that it cannot elect sympathy and to my eyes exists to be
              eradictaed. The Light isn't good either- it's just that they kill
              humanity slower. Extremes are not survivable, this is why I champion
              the Balance- between Law and Chaos, Creation and Destruction. Entropy
              and Enthalpy. I believe that the point of things isn't the destroy the
              world over cerative difference but to keep it moving along and the
              story going. ;>

              Raven
            • Edward Wilson
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                Balance is also harder than either extreme. At least in my experience.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2008
                  --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, Edward Wilson <brathanor@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Balance is also harder than either extreme. At least in my
                  experience.

                  Balance is inituially hard to attain, but equilbrium once begun is
                  easy to maintain.

                  Raven