Re: How soon (How about NOW?)

  • Melanie
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
      Drive Rose batty you mean? I don't know. She doesn't have (if I'm
      remembering right) the same trouble with "hearing" all of the other
      inhabitants that Thorn does, even though they are litter-mates.

      And for the record, having litters is...odd. Do they not have a good
      survival rate? Or is it something about their make-up that does that?
      I mean, it might explain Thorn's heat-induced mating appetite.
      <frowns> Wait a minute. If they can't get pregnant/reproduce except
      when a seraph or its progeny are near, does that mean if she <clears
      throat> took multiple partners during that time, that some of the
      litter could come out part mage, part human, while others would be
      all mage, or, or, kylen, too? (oh, how confusing!)

      All right, Miz Faith. What's the deal on that part?

      ~ Melanie

      --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, Edward Wilson <brathanor@...>
      wrote:

      > It would drive her completely (or more) batty.
      >
      > Ed
      >
      > nie <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:
      > --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, Edward Wilson
      <brathanor@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > <snip>
      > >
      > > Will Thorn ever go back to Enclave? With the amulet she was given
      > she can protect her thoughts, even if it IS a trap of some kind.
      >
      > It sure doesn't strike me as a place she ought to go, unless there
      is
      > a need for her to. And that Apache tear, man! What's up with that?
      > Useful, you bet. Smells too much like a lure or a trap thing to me.
      >
      > Maybe she can figure out how to make one for herself?
      > > If she does, she will have a few problems. Mainly that she
      > aggravated the acting head priestess, and she didn't let Cheran
      kill
      > her. Hmmm...
      >
      > If Thorn goes, it will be like walking into a hive of bees, I
      should
      > think. How about Cheran? They've got a situational truce for right
      > now. How long do you think *that's* going to last once Cheran sees
      an
      > opp to be finishing his job - or more likely to get out of "the
      hick
      > town." Whatta snob.
      >
      > Maybe going back to Enclave would NOT be a good idea.
      > > What do you think?
      > >

      > Overall, 'twere it I, I would definitely not head that way. BUT
      will
      > it be a place that Rose might want to hang out?
      >
      > Any bets on that?
      >
      > ~ Melanie
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
      See how.

    • Aleta Turner
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
        Oh, wow, good question, Melanie! I think it's unusal for Thorn
        and Rose to be identical twins rahter than "just" littermates.
        I hadn't thought about the possibility of multiple sires for a
        litter though...

        Aleta

        On 12/1/07, Melanie <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:
        > Drive Rose batty you mean? I don't know. She doesn't have (if I'm
        > remembering right) the same trouble with "hearing" all of the other
        > inhabitants that Thorn does, even though they are litter-mates.
        >
        > And for the record, having litters is...odd. Do they not have a good
        > survival rate? Or is it something about their make-up that does that?
        > I mean, it might explain Thorn's heat-induced mating appetite.
        > <frowns> Wait a minute. If they can't get pregnant/reproduce except
        > when a seraph or its progeny are near, does that mean if she <clears
        > throat> took multiple partners during that time, that some of the
        > litter could come out part mage, part human, while others would be
        > all mage, or, or, kylen, too? (oh, how confusing!)
        >
        > All right, Miz Faith. What's the deal on that part?
        >
        > ~ Melanie

        ~~~~~~~~
        "Finish each day and be done with it. You
        have done what you could. Tomorrow is a
        new day; begin it well and serenely and
        with too high a spirit to be encumbered
        with your old nonsense."
        --Ralph Waldo Emerson
      • Melanie
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thanks. The twin thing had just started me thinking, and then it
          occurred to me that mages are a lot like cats when they're in heat.
          ( }=O!!! Surprised somebody doesn't get really hurt!) Cats will take
          multiple partners, so...

          ~ Melanie

          --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Aleta Turner"
          <aletamosquito@...> wrote:

          > Oh, wow, good question, Melanie! I think it's unusal for Thorn
          > and Rose to be identical twins rahter than "just" littermates.
          > I hadn't thought about the possibility of multiple sires for a
          > litter though...
          >
          > Aleta
          >
          > On 12/1/07, Melanie <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:
          > > Drive Rose batty you mean? I don't know. She doesn't have (if I'm
          > > remembering right) the same trouble with "hearing" all of the
          other
          > > inhabitants that Thorn does, even though they are litter-mates.
          > >
          > > And for the record, having litters is...odd. Do they not have a
          good
          > > survival rate? Or is it something about their make-up that does
          that?
          > > I mean, it might explain Thorn's heat-induced mating appetite.
          > > <frowns> Wait a minute. If they can't get pregnant/reproduce
          except
          > > when a seraph or its progeny are near, does that mean if she
          <clears
          > > throat> took multiple partners during that time, that some of the
          > > litter could come out part mage, part human, while others would be
          > > all mage, or, or, kylen, too? (oh, how confusing!)
          > >
          > > All right, Miz Faith. What's the deal on that part?
          > >
          > > ~ Melanie
        • Faith Hunter
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
            Yes, Melanie, if multiple partners were taken during a rut, the
            offspring (litter mates) could be multiple races. If only one
            partner was involved, then the result would be all one race, and all
            non-identical twins. Rose and Thorn are unusual because they are
            identical, but their gifts were expressed in different ways.
            Faith

            --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Melanie"

          • Judy
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
              SO, the big question is: How long are they in "heat"? With cats it
              lasts 9-10 days in the absence of a male, 3-4 days is she has mated.

              --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > her. Hmmm...
              > > >
              > > > If Thorn goes, it will be like walking into a hive of bees, I
              > > should
              > > > think. How about Cheran? They've got a situational truce for
              > right
              > > > now. How long do you think *that's* going to last once Cheran
              > sees
              > > an
              > > > opp to be finishing his job - or more likely to get out of "the
              > > hick
              > > > town." Whatta snob.
              > > >
              > > > Maybe going back to Enclave would NOT be a good idea.
              > > > >

              > > > Overall, 'twere it I, I would definitely not head that way. BUT
              > > will
              > > > it be a place that Rose might want to hang out?
              > > >
              > > > Any bets on that?
              > > >
              > > > ~ Melanie
              > > >

              > > > ---------------------------------
              > > > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo!

            • Aleta Turner
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                Isn't it for exactly how long the seraph or kylen is
                around (in the absence of mitigating factors such
                as battle lust if the mage is subject to that)?

                Aleta

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Since most mages are in the Enclave, I wonder how they monitor and/or
                  control those mages going into heat? What kind of breeding programs
                  are there and do they breed for certain characteristics?

                  ~Judy

                  <aletamosquito@...> wrote:

                  > Isn't it for exactly how long the seraph or kylen is
                  > around (in the absence of mitigating factors such
                  > as battle lust if the mage is subject to that)?
                  >
                  > Aleta
                  >
                  > On 12/1/07, Judy <blackcattoes@...> wrote:
                  > > SO, the big question is: How long are they in "heat"? With cats it
                  > > lasts 9-10 days in the absence of a male, 3-4 days is she has
                  mated.

                  > ~~~~~~~~
                  > "Finish each day and be done with it. You
                  > have done what you could. Tomorrow is a
                  > new day; begin it well and serenely and
                  > with too high a spirit to be encumbered
                  > with your old nonsense."
                  > --Ralph Waldo Emerson

                • Sarah and Melanie Noneofyourbusiness
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Not just controlling when they go into heat, but who decides who mates with whom?  Do you think lineage is as important as what powers the Mage has? Or what powers they descend from?  And do the individual Mages get to keep their children and raise them, or are they removed upon birth to be raised by someone else?

                    S/BB

                    <aletamosquito@ ...> wrote:

                    > Isn't it for exactly how long the seraph or kylen is
                    > around (in the absence of mitigating factors such
                    > as battle lust if the mage is subject to that)?
                    >
                    > Aleta
                    >
                    > On 12/1/07, Judy <blackcattoes@ ...> wrote:
                    > > SO, the big question is: How long are they in "heat"? With cats it
                    > > lasts 9-10 days in the absence of a male, 3-4 days is she has
                    mated.

                    > ~~~~~~~~
                    > "Finish each day and be done with it. You

                    have done what you could. Tomorrow is a
                    > new day; begin it well and serenely and
                    > with too high a spirit to be encumbered
                    > with your old nonsense."
                    > --Ralph Waldo Emerson

                  • Aleta Turner
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                      And what exactly determines what powers a mage has?
                      It can't be entirely genetic, or Thorn and Rose would have
                      the same set of powers. It's probably at least partly
                      genetic though since it's unusal that their powers are
                      different.

                      Aleta

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                        This sure does sound tricky. I'd imagine the enclave societies have a
                        set of relatively elastic rules or guides in place. My impression
                        (see if any of you remember otherwise) is that the seraphs appearance
                        to start this mating frenzy is a controlled one. Scheduled? And who
                        arranges for these? Lolo? <laughs> Does this mean she has a direct
                        line to God? Err, the Most High?

                        Lineage must be traced - at least by somebody. Weren't Thorn & Rose's
                        parents locked up together for the purpose of creating a litter
                        during a rut? (drat! what page is that on?) If someone was looking to
                        create battle mages thereby, they'd have to know lineages and the
                        relative reliability of traits that appear, or it wouldn't work.

                        RE: keeping the kids, it seems implied that they do, and that it was
                        kind of odd that Lolo raised them "at court" for some good long time.

                        ~ Melanie

                        --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, Sarah and Melanie
                        Noneofyourbusiness <bayoubrats2004@...> wrote:

                        > Not just controlling when they go into heat, but who decides who
                        mates with whom? Do you think lineage is as important as what powers
                        the Mage has? Or what powers they descend from? And do the
                        individual Mages get to keep their children and raise them, or are
                        they removed upon birth to be raised by someone else?

                        > S/BB

                      • Raven Blackwell
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                          --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, Edward Wilson <brathanor@...> wrote:

                          > Will Thorn ever go back to Enclave? With the amulet she was given she can protect her
                          thoughts, even if it IS a trap of some kind. Maybe she can figure out how to make one for
                          herself?
                          > If she does, she will have a few problems. Mainly that she aggravated the acting head
                          priestess, and she didn't let Cheran kill her. Hmmm... Maybe going back to Enclave would
                          NOT be a good idea.
                          > What do you think?

                          Here's the question- why does Thorn _need_ the Enclave? So far they've proven to be less
                          than useless for anythign but primping, preening and assassination attempts and screwing
                          up her life. I say lump them in with the bad guys and be done with it.

                          Raven
                        • Raven Blackwell
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                            --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Melanie" <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:

                            > It sure doesn't strike me as a place she ought to go, unless there is
                            > a need for her to. And that Apache tear, man! What's up with that?
                            > Useful, you bet. Smells too much like a lure or a trap thing to me.
                            > Maybe she can figure out how to make one for herself?

                            I am wondring if there is a hidden compylsion in the enchantment myself. Can't Thorn just
                            manufacture a mindshield for herself or is somethign stopping her?

                            > If Thorn goes, it will be like walking into a hive of bees, I should
                            > think. How about Cheran? They've got a situational truce for right
                            > now. How long do you think *that's* going to last once Cheran sees an
                            > opp to be finishing his job - or more likely to get out of "the hick
                            > town." Whatta snob.

                            Cheran is a question mark. Killing him now would be bad, as it would look like Thorn was
                            the sort whack allies. But shoudl the need arise, a little freindly fire never hurt....

                            > Maybe going back to Enclave would NOT be a good idea.
                            > > What do you think?
                            > >

                            > Overall, 'twere it I, I would definitely not head that way. BUT will
                            > it be a place that Rose might want to hang out?

                            Oh yeah, they'll _love_ a death mage hanging about the place. ;>

                            > Any bets on that?

                            I don't wager unless I've fixed the results. ;>

                            Raven
                          • Raven Blackwell
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                              --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Melanie" <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:

                              > Drive Rose batty you mean? I don't know. She doesn't have (if I'm
                              > remembering right) the same trouble with "hearing" all of the other
                              > inhabitants that Thorn does, even though they are litter-mates.

                              Yeah, but she's a death mage. While not much has been revealed about what that is, it
                              seems bad mojo, doesn't it? Anyone making amulets out of hunks of fallen angel has
                              issues....;>

                              Raven
                            • Raven Blackwell
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                                --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Faith Hunter" <faith@...> wrote:

                                > Yes, Melanie, if multiple partners were taken during a rut, the
                                > offspring (litter mates) could be multiple races. If only one
                                > partner was involved, then the result would be all one race, and all
                                > non-identical twins. Rose and Thorn are unusual because they are
                                > identical, but their gifts were expressed in different ways.

                                Which means that magica; ability _isn't_ a genetic trait and instead what? A spiritual one? If
                                so, where does it from/ Every other magical race but Neomages [Seraph, Flames, fallen,
                                even Kylen] all have theri origin from the Most High originaly. Neomages are appearently a
                                mutation from the first plague. So what happened, the Seraph's presence cause the
                                equilvent of spiritual mutation?

                                Raven
                              • Raven Blackwell
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <blackcattoes@...> wrote:

                                  > Since most mages are in the Enclave, I wonder how they monitor and/or
                                  > control those mages going into heat? What kind of breeding programs
                                  > are there and do they breed for certain characteristics?

                                  If there is no geentic component, then there is no pupose to trying to 'breed' for it. It is
                                  seemingly unrelated to the parent's magical gift if identical twins don't the same gift, thus
                                  tracking the lines of inheritance won't determine who has what magical gift.

                                  BTW- if prime amulets are keyed to a person genetic profile than idneitcal twins like Rose
                                  and Thorn should be able to use each others, no? ;>

                                  Raven
                                • Raven Blackwell
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    --- In the-enclave@yahoogroups.com, "Melanie" <griffinwingfeathers@...> wrote:

                                    > This sure does sound tricky. I'd imagine the enclave societies have a
                                    > set of relatively elastic rules or guides in place. My impression
                                    > (see if any of you remember otherwise) is that the seraphs appearance
                                    > to start this mating frenzy is a controlled one. Scheduled? And who
                                    > arranges for these? Lolo? <laughs> Does this mean she has a direct
                                    > line to God? Err, the Most High?

                                    Mor elikely to the AAS or another human agency that deals with Seraphs.

                                    > Lineage must be traced - at least by somebody. Weren't Thorn & Rose's
                                    > parents locked up together for the purpose of creating a litter
                                    > during a rut? (drat! what page is that on?) If someone was looking to
                                    > create battle mages thereby, they'd have to know lineages and the
                                    > relative reliability of traits that appear, or it wouldn't work.

                                    Hm- if battle lust has a genetic component than Rose must have it too. No sign o fthat
                                    really, unless you count her bout of power madness.

                                    Raven
                                  • Melanie
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      But we don't know if Rose has that inclination. We've only seen that
                                      one incident other than Thorn's twin trying to (very confusedly)
                                      survive her horrible circumstances. She could certainly harbor that
                                      trait, IMHO since a death mage ought to, by definition, bear some
                                      inclination to wreak death.

                                      ~ Melanie