Secrets Of The Founding Fathers,

  • thalprin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
      I watched this show the other night, I enjoyed it, - the thing I found so odd and interesting, that has kind of been on my mind, a couple of times since, was the segment about Benjamin Franklin's London house wherein they've found bones buried in his basement.

      Franklin, SOTFF suggests, was involved with person/s that (like him, or that he befriended/helped) were conducting anatomy/physiological research, which they point out, at that time, meant dealing with grave robbers and hiding from religious authorities, so on.

      Additional info/details, - brief but simi, with some slightly different a/o also plausable point-of-views:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hewson_(surgeon)

      Whichever way it works out, I find it very odd, these bones in his basement, and I think it's odd too hearing that researchers may have decided not to excavate his basement any further. And what about the bones they have already unearthed - is anyone researching, documenting a/o storing/reburying them? Frankly, I think more research is warranted, I think it's worth a serious look to resolving, it's just so curious, and I surely don't think the bones in Franklin's basement should be a secret.

      http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=452492

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_House
    • thalprin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
        --- In thalprin@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

        > I watched this show the other night, I enjoyed it, - the thing I found so odd and interesting, that has kind of been on my mind, a couple of times since, was the segment about Benjamin Franklin's London house wherein they've found bones buried in his basement.
        >
        > Franklin, SOTFF suggests, was involved with person/s that (like him, or that he befriended/helped) were conducting anatomy/physiological research, which they point out, at that time, meant dealing with grave robbers and hiding from religious authorities, so on.
        >
        > Additional info/details, - brief but simi, with some slightly different a/o also plausable point-of-views:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hewson_(surgeon)
        >
        > Whichever way it works out, I find it very odd, these bones in his basement, and I think it's odd too hearing that researchers may have decided not to excavate his basement any further. And what about the bones they have already unearthed - is anyone researching, documenting a/o storing/reburying them? Frankly, I think more research is warranted, I think it's worth a serious look to resolving, it's just so curious, and I surely don't think the bones in Franklin's basement should be a secret.
        >

        > http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=452492
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_House

        I really wonder who these people are/were; patients, corpses, relatives, servants/slaves, soldiers, spies, royalists - the list of real possibilities just goes on and on.

        In my mind I've been trying to begin to reason some of it out, for example, it seems to me if they were patients then their families would've claimed their remains - if they were corpses it seems likely that they would've been kept in the lab (not buried in the basement) as research materials, and what about the smell, that many bodies would create such a stench - seems to me if they'd concluded their research then they would've wanted to get those bodies out of the house rather than deal with the risk of exposure (specially at such a time) and the smell/the health concerns. It seems likely that family and friends would've had a proper burial and certainly wouldn't have been cut up a/o drilled. Spies, soldiers, royalists, seems likely anyone of reputation that went missing would've been noticed and searched for as well. It is such a puzzle.

        I wonder how these people died and then what happened, and who they were, and did they really get buried in the basement under Franklin's roof.
      • thalprin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
          My feeling, however the story ultimately unfolds, is that bones being buried in the basement of anyone's home usually is quite enough evidence to warrent a serious inquiry, let alone someone like Franklin, a Founding Father who as we all know was simply brilliant, brilliant and keen - and maybe it's just a feeling or a sense but my feeling is that bones being buried in his basement is more likely to be interesting a/o imporant than meaningless and unnoteworthy.

          They (a few more ideas) could be esteemed remains, they don't necc. have to be victims or laboratory corpses, they could be revolutionaries, royals, indians, those bones could've been something they were safeguarding or harboring/keeping. We just don't know, though certainly Franklin traveled many social circles, there's no telling what was going-on, or who those bones are/aren't (including nationalities) unless/until it's been researched, tested, and more thoroughly documented, which as simply a historical matter I think it should be.