Luke 17:12 (AN)ESTHSAN

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2004
      I am wondering if someone can shed some light on the following variant:
      Luke 17:12 KAI EISERCOMENOU AUTOU EIS TINA KWMHN APHNTHSAN [AUTW] DEKA
      LEPROI ANDRES, OI ESTHSAN PORRWQEN

      Some witnesses read for ESTHSAN:
      ANESTHSAN B, F, 157, 579, pc

      The meaning is different for the two variants.
      "who stood up at a distance"
      "who stood --- at a distance" (txt)

      The variation is curious, there is no obvious reason for it. With
      ESTHSAN the meaning is clear and normal. There would be no reason for a
      change. On the other hand, why should one change ANESTHSAN ?
      Perhaps ANESTHSAN has been inspired by the previous APHNTHSAN ?
      The support by F is strange and suggests an error.

      Any other idea?

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de