Official NT Manuscript List

  • Bryan Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      I have several "layman-type" questions for those who might know and
      not mind sharing...

      1) Is the Kurzgefasste Liste Der Griechischen Handschriften des Neuen
      Testaments, kept by the Institute for New Testament Textual Research,
      considered "THE OFFICIAL LIST" of ancient NT manuscripts?

      2) Is Munster usually the first Institute to which new manuscript
      discoveries are made known?

      3) What is the "mechanism" for new manuscript discoveries to be added
      to the Kurzgefasste Liste?

      4) Are new finds among the Oxyrhychus Papyri immediately submitted to
      the Munster Institute for cataloging? (sideline: How many more
      Oxyrhunchus Papyri are there to be deciphered and catalogued, anyway?)

      5) Does the Munster Institute, or any other, keep an "official" list
      of versional NT manuscripts?

      Thanks kindly,
      Bryan Cox
      Plano, Tx
    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
        At 11:47 PM 6/2/05, you wrote:
        >I have several "layman-type" questions for those who might know and
        >not mind sharing...
        >
        >1) Is the Kurzgefasste Liste Der Griechischen Handschriften des Neuen
        >Testaments, kept by the Institute for New Testament Textual Research,
        >considered "THE OFFICIAL LIST" of ancient NT manuscripts?

        Yes. There is nothing 'OFFICIAL' about it; but it is the standard list and
        heir to the history of other earlier lists.

        >2) Is Munster usually the first Institute to which new manuscript
        >discoveries are made known?

        Not necessarily; because some people identify new manuscripts and don't
        know about it; or they publish first and then the ms gets noticed by
        Munster. These days it is not unusual for news of new manuscripts to emerge
        on the web or on press releases from the institution which owns it. But if
        I discovered a new ms of the NT I'd be in touch with Munster.
        In my opinion it is useful if it can be done before publication.

        >3) What is the "mechanism" for new manuscript discoveries to be added
        >to the Kurzgefasste Liste?
        You can email them. Recently I sent them photos and transcripts of some new
        mss of these were added to the list. Then they can be published with the
        Liste numbers.

        >4) Are new finds among the Oxyrhychus Papyri immediately submitted to
        >the Munster Institute for cataloging? (sideline: How many more
        >Oxyrhunchus Papyri are there to be deciphered and catalogued, anyway?)

        No, I think they are usually submitted before publication; because
        generally OxyPap volumes publish new NT mss with the Papyrus Number
        allocated. But clearly they were not submitted when they were originally
        identified.
        Sideline: I don't know the answer beyond "Plenty" (some one recently
        suggested 400-500 more boxes remained to be published - I don't know how
        big the boxes are!).

        >5) Does the Munster Institute, or any other, keep an "official" list
        >of versional NT manuscripts?
        >
        >Thanks kindly,
        >Bryan Cox
        >Plano, Tx
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608