Re: [textualcriticism] Justin Martyr and the ending of Mark

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

      Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:54 PM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Justin Martyr and the ending of Mark

      Dear Andrew,

      Just a few brief observations.

      Thank you Malcolm.

      <SNIP>

      2.  Apart from two quotes from Mark in the fragments Mk 12:25; 2:17, there are no other references from Mark.

      Those such as Bellinzoni and Petersen who believe that Justin was using a gospel harmony usually hold that several passages generally regarded as loose quotations from Matthew are in fact quotations of a text which harmonises Matthew and Mark (eg Apology 15:2 is regarded by such scholars as a harmony of Matthew 5:29, Mark 9:47 and Matthew 18:9)

      Because Justin's exposition in Dial. 45 is rather free there are other possible sources used in his exposition.  Consider Lk 8:1ff or Acts 2:33; 7:55f; Rom 8:34; Col 3:1(!); Heb 10:12; 1 Pet 3:22; Mt 28:19f as viable options as sources of the allusions in his speech.

      A number of the parallels you kindly provided seem to be parallels to 'sit thou at my right hand' which occurs in the Apology just before the passage I quoted and which I am not proposing as a probable allusion to the long ending. What I am suggesting is that 'the mighty word which his apostles going forth from Jerusalem preached everywhere'  is such an allusion but not to the separated Gospel of Mark but to the long ending of Mark occurring as part of an early Gospel harmony.

      Andrew Criddle
    • malcolm robertson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        Dear Andrew,

        In light of the introductory/prefatory nature of Justin's remarks immediately prior to the citations as well as the use of the conjunction before each one of these cited passages I am highly doubtful whether Bellinzoni and Petersen are not just free thinking ..."alas, medicine, jurisprudence have I learned..."

        I think you would agree it must have been quite a poor production of a harmony if Justin was in fact using such a thing.

        Cordially in Christ,

        Malcolm

        "Those such as Bellinzoni and Petersen who believe that Justin was using a gospel harmony usually hold that several passages generally regarded as loose quotations from Matthew are in fact quotations of a text which harmonises Matthew and Mark (eg Apology 15:2 is regarded by such scholars as a harmony of Matthew 5:29, Mark 9:47 and Matthew 18:9)"

        Discover Yahoo!