Re: [textualcriticism] P52 and Mt 18:33 PALIN EIS TO PRAITWRION

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      At 01:22 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Bai Jiansheng wrote:
      >I'm looking the fragment of P52, and I wonder if P52 should perhaps be
      >listed as P52vid under Mt 18:33 variant "2-4" with 33. 1424 instead
      >of with txt.

      I'm assuming John 18:33 is meant, as P52 does not (presently) have
      any text of Matthew. I'm also assuming that the issue is whether
      P52vid should be listed under txt, which includes PALIN, or under
      variant 2-4, which lacks PALIN.

      >Here's what I see:
      >OI IOUDAI (ln. 1) to OUDENA (ln. 2) is 34 letters.
      >OUDENA (ln. 2) to PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) is 34 letters.
      >PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) to QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) is 31 letters.
      >QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) to RION O P (ln. 5) is either 30 or 35 letters
      >(depending on variant).
      >RION O P (ln. 5) to ioudaIWn (ln. 6) is 31 letters.
      >
      >So I see 34, 34, 31, ___, 31. What goes in the blank? 30 is close to
      >surrounding 31 and 31, but 35 is close to the first 34 and 34. With
      >this kind of situation, isn't it best to leave the variant undecided
      >rather than to put words into the mouth of the earliest MS ever found?

      Actually, the letter count for line 4 is 29 or 34, because the initial
      vowel of EISHLQEN is spelled with the a single iota: IS[HLQEN, making
      the letter count less ambiguous than the calculations above would
      indicate. Another factor to consider is that line 4 has five iotas, so
      the line itself is a little shorter than what was computed above using
      a fixed-width character assumption. As a result, the choice between
      the two options is much more clear (e.g. 28.5 or 33.5) than what the
      analysis above suggests. Moreover, the use of the notation "vid" in
      the apparatus adequately informs the reader that the designation of
      P52's support is based on inference.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...