P52 and Mt 18:33 PALIN EIS TO PRAITWRION

  • Bai Jiansheng
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      I'm looking the fragment of P52, and I wonder if P52 should perhaps be listed as P52vid
      under Mt 18:33 variant "2-4" with 33. 1424 instead of with txt.

      Here's what I see:
      OI IOUDAI (ln. 1) to OUDENA (ln. 2) is 34 letters.
      OUDENA (ln. 2) to PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) is 34 letters.
      PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) to QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) is 31 letters.
      QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) to RION O P (ln. 5) is either 30 or 35 letters (depending on variant).
      RION O P (ln. 5) to ioudaIWn (ln. 6) is 31 letters.

      So I see 34, 34, 31, ___, 31. What goes in the blank? 30 is close to surrounding 31 and 31,
      but 35 is close to the first 34 and 34. With this kind of situation, isn't it best to leave the
      variant undecided rather than to put words into the mouth of the earliest MS ever found?

      Bai Jiansheng
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        At 01:22 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Bai Jiansheng wrote:
        >I'm looking the fragment of P52, and I wonder if P52 should perhaps be
        >listed as P52vid under Mt 18:33 variant "2-4" with 33. 1424 instead
        >of with txt.

        I'm assuming John 18:33 is meant, as P52 does not (presently) have
        any text of Matthew. I'm also assuming that the issue is whether
        P52vid should be listed under txt, which includes PALIN, or under
        variant 2-4, which lacks PALIN.

        >Here's what I see:
        >OI IOUDAI (ln. 1) to OUDENA (ln. 2) is 34 letters.
        >OUDENA (ln. 2) to PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) is 34 letters.
        >PEN SHMAINW (ln. 3) to QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) is 31 letters.
        >QNHSKEIN EIS (ln. 4) to RION O P (ln. 5) is either 30 or 35 letters
        >(depending on variant).
        >RION O P (ln. 5) to ioudaIWn (ln. 6) is 31 letters.
        >
        >So I see 34, 34, 31, ___, 31. What goes in the blank? 30 is close to
        >surrounding 31 and 31, but 35 is close to the first 34 and 34. With
        >this kind of situation, isn't it best to leave the variant undecided
        >rather than to put words into the mouth of the earliest MS ever found?

        Actually, the letter count for line 4 is 29 or 34, because the initial
        vowel of EISHLQEN is spelled with the a single iota: IS[HLQEN, making
        the letter count less ambiguous than the calculations above would
        indicate. Another factor to consider is that line 4 has five iotas, so
        the line itself is a little shorter than what was computed above using
        a fixed-width character assumption. As a result, the choice between
        the two options is much more clear (e.g. 28.5 or 33.5) than what the
        analysis above suggests. Moreover, the use of the notation "vid" in
        the apparatus adequately informs the reader that the designation of
        P52's support is based on inference.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...