Re: [textualcriticism] Monarchian Prologues

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2004
      At 07:57 PM 8/18/2004 +0000, Larry J. Swain wrote:
      >I'm wondering if anyone has specific information on the transmission
      >of the so-called "Anti-Marcionite" Prologues in Latin? Which
      >manuscripts, if any and when? I'm attempting to source some
      >information on Luke from an eleventh century collection of saint's
      >lives and some of the information mentioned is shared by both the
      >Anti-Marcionite prologues and the Monarchian. I can place some
      >biblical mss with the Monarchian prologues in the date and provenance
      >of the ms I'm working on, but haven't so far with the Anti-
      >Marcionite. Am I assuming that the Anti-Marcionite prologues made it
      >into Latin and were transmitted? Could the Monarchian prologues
      >(probably by Priscillan of Aquila, fourth century) depend on the Anti-
      >Marcionite?

      Larry,

      According to my secondary materials, you may find the following
      helpful in answering your specific questions:

      J. Regul, Die Antimarcionitischen Evangelienprologe (Vetus Latina
      Series; Freiburg: Herder, 1969).

      A. Harnack, "Die ältesten Evangelein prologe und die Bildung des
      NTs," SPAW. Phil. Hist. 24 (1928): 322-41.

      J. Chapman, Notes on the Early History of the Vulgate Gospels
      (Oxford: 1908): 217-88.

      H. Lietzmann, Kleine Texte, no. 1 (1902; 4th ed. 1933).

      "Monarchian Prologures," Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
      (2d ed.; Oxford: 1974).

      R. G. Heard, "The Old Latin Gospel Prologues," JTS ns 6 (1956): 1-16.

      D. de Bruyne, "Les plus anciens prologues latin des Evangiles,"
      Rev. Ben. 40 (1928): 193-214.

      The "Anti-Marcionite" prologue to Luke is attested in Greek and in three
      fairly similar Latin recensions. I think the assumption, probably safe,
      is that the Monarchian prologues are dependent on the A-M prologues. As
      for specific MSS, Regul is probably what you want.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...