Monarchian Prologues

  • Larry J. Swain
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2004
      I'm wondering if anyone has specific information on the transmission
      of the so-called "Anti-Marcionite" Prologues in Latin? Which
      manuscripts, if any and when? I'm attempting to source some
      information on Luke from an eleventh century collection of saint's
      lives and some of the information mentioned is shared by both the
      Anti-Marcionite prologues and the Monarchian. I can place some
      biblical mss with the Monarchian prologues in the date and provenance
      of the ms I'm working on, but haven't so far with the Anti-
      Marcionite. Am I assuming that the Anti-Marcionite prologues made it
      into Latin and were transmitted? Could the Monarchian prologues
      (probably by Priscillan of Aquila, fourth century) depend on the Anti-
      Marcionite?

      Many thanks for any pointers!

      Larry Swain

      Forgive duplication as this is going out to several lists.
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2004
        At 07:57 PM 8/18/2004 +0000, Larry J. Swain wrote:
        >I'm wondering if anyone has specific information on the transmission
        >of the so-called "Anti-Marcionite" Prologues in Latin? Which
        >manuscripts, if any and when? I'm attempting to source some
        >information on Luke from an eleventh century collection of saint's
        >lives and some of the information mentioned is shared by both the
        >Anti-Marcionite prologues and the Monarchian. I can place some
        >biblical mss with the Monarchian prologues in the date and provenance
        >of the ms I'm working on, but haven't so far with the Anti-
        >Marcionite. Am I assuming that the Anti-Marcionite prologues made it
        >into Latin and were transmitted? Could the Monarchian prologues
        >(probably by Priscillan of Aquila, fourth century) depend on the Anti-
        >Marcionite?

        Larry,

        According to my secondary materials, you may find the following
        helpful in answering your specific questions:

        J. Regul, Die Antimarcionitischen Evangelienprologe (Vetus Latina
        Series; Freiburg: Herder, 1969).

        A. Harnack, "Die ältesten Evangelein prologe und die Bildung des
        NTs," SPAW. Phil. Hist. 24 (1928): 322-41.

        J. Chapman, Notes on the Early History of the Vulgate Gospels
        (Oxford: 1908): 217-88.

        H. Lietzmann, Kleine Texte, no. 1 (1902; 4th ed. 1933).

        "Monarchian Prologures," Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
        (2d ed.; Oxford: 1974).

        R. G. Heard, "The Old Latin Gospel Prologues," JTS ns 6 (1956): 1-16.

        D. de Bruyne, "Les plus anciens prologues latin des Evangiles,"
        Rev. Ben. 40 (1928): 193-214.

        The "Anti-Marcionite" prologue to Luke is attested in Greek and in three
        fairly similar Latin recensions. I think the assumption, probably safe,
        is that the Monarchian prologues are dependent on the A-M prologues. As
        for specific MSS, Regul is probably what you want.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...