Question about Greek MSS written in Latin letters

  • Daniel B. Wallace
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2014
      I have come across a few Greek MSS over the years, written in Latin letters (technically known as Latinoellinika MSS), but I am unaware of any NT MSS like this. Does anyone on this list know of any?

      Daniel B. Wallace
      Executive Director
      www.csntm.org
    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2014
        Dr. Wallace,

        The sort of manuscript you mention was unknown to me, but I'll add it to the list of biblical transliterations I'm compiling:
        - Arabic  written in Syriac script (Garshuni)
        - Arabic  written in Aramaic script (Judeo-Arabic)
        - Berber written in Aramaic script (Judeo-Berber) --of which I own an inscription of unknown date
        - Hebrew  written in Aramaic script (square letter--which became the Hebrew standard)
        - Egyptian written in Greek script (which became the Coptic standard)
        - Turkish  written in Greek script
        - Turkish  written in Armenian script

        Daniel Buck
      • Daniel King
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2014

          If you are keeping a list of biblical mss that use a writing system different from the language, then there were a few other combinations used in the east, such as Armenian in Syriac script, and Sogdian in Syriac script, mss of which include a psalter, I believe. There was recently a small conference on the topic even! Details here:

          http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/hugoye/hugoye-conference/541.html

          And this article may be of use:

          George Kiraz, Garshunography: Terminology and Some Formal Properties of Writing One Language in the Script

          of Another’ in J. den Heijer, A. Schmidt, and T. Pataridze (eds.), Scripts beyond Borders. A Survey of

          Allographic Traditions in the Euro-Mediterranean World (Louvain: Peeters, 2014).

          And perhaps other articles in the same volume

          regards

          Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2014
            Dear dr Wallace,

            I have approved your message, but suggest that is more proper for a private message than a group communication.

            Best regards,

            Wim

            Thanks--to both of you!