Place of Revelation in the Corpus

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2014
      I'm interested in finding out how Revelation was packaged in the 300 or so manuscripts in which it isn't found in a complete NT (and, even then, I'm interested to know where in the NT it was bound). Was it more likely to be bound with Acts & the Catholics, Paul, the Gospels, The Epistles, or as the only canonical part of a miscellany?

      Where could I find either the information necessary to construct such a list, or the list itself?

      Daniel Buck

    • voxverax
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2014
        Surely the first place to look would be Hoskier.
      • dchindley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2014

          Daniel,

          In David Trobisch's The First Edition of the New Testament (OUP 2000) there is a table on page 27. Using the data found in Barbara & Kurt Aland's Text of the New Testament, (2nd ed, Eerdmans, 1989, pp 78-79), there are, out of 3,158 NT manuscripts, 287 include the Revelation either by its lonesome of package with other groups of books.

          e = four Gospels (2,361 mss have it)

          a = Acts with Catholic epistles (662 mss have it)

          p = Pauline corpus (792 mss have it)

          r = the Revelation (287 mss have it)

          total = 3,158 mss

          e alone (no a, p or r), 2,123 mss (67.2%)

          a + p (no e or r), 273 mss (8.6%)*

          p alone, 222 mss (7.0%)

          e + a + p, 150 mss (4.7%)**

          r alone (no e, a or p), 130 mss (4.1%)

          a alone (no e, p or r), 87 mss (2.8%)

          a + p + r (no e), 76 mss (2.4%)

          e + a + p + r, 59 mss (1.9%)

          e + a (no p or r), 11 mss (0.3%)

          e + r (no a or p), 11 mss (0.3%)

          p + r (no e or a), 6 mss (0.2%)

          e + p (no a or r), 5 mss (0.2%)

          a + r (no e or p), 3 mss (0.1%)

          e + a + r (no p), 2 mss (0.1%)

          Trobisch's raw numbers include breakouts about numbers of Papyri, Majuscules and Miniscules make up each of these numbers (except for a + p):

          e, 43 Pap + 184 Maj + 1,896 Min = 2,123 mss

          a + p, 8 Maj + 265 Min = 273 mss*

          p, 26 Pap + 58 Maj + 138 Min = 222 mss

          e + a + p, = 150 mss**

          r, 5 Pap + 7 Maj + 118 Min = 130 mss

          a, 18 Pap, 29 Maj + 40 Min = 87 mss

          a + p + r, 1 Maj + 75 Min = 76 mss

          e + a + p + r, 3 Maj + 56 Min = 59 mss

          e + a, 2 Pap + 1 Maj +8 Min =11 mss

          e + r, 11 Mini = 11 mss

          p + r, 6 Min = 6 mss

          e + p, 5 Min = 5 mss

          a + r, 3 Min = 3 mss

          e + a + r, 2 Min = 2 mss

          Dave Hindley

          Newton Falls, Ohio, USA

          * Trobisch's statistics are one short when compared to mss counts in Aland for both a & p. so the list should probably be 274 mss. I do not know if the missing ms is a Maj or a Min.

          **This combo was missing from Trobisch's list. Statistical totals are reconstructed from Aland. Breakout between Pap, Maj & Min not available to me.