John 9:36-39

  • kanakawatut
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2014
      I have been studying a textual variant in the Gospel of John 9:36, 38, 39.  I would appreciate some help from those who can access the Coptic and Syriac witnesses.

      In John 9:38,39 Papyrus 75, 01* W it-b, cop-sa-ms Diatessaron omit, ["And he said, "I believe, Lord."  And he worshipped him.  And Jesus said,]
      Five other Majuscules vary from the main text as well:
      Majuscule D has he worshiped AUTON instead of AUTWi, (conformed to v. 36, "so that I may believe in AUTON).
      Majuscule 070 omits the article from O IHSOUS.
      Majuscules 038 and 047 use the verb EIPEN instead of the unusual EFH (But see EFH variants in v. 36)
      Majuscule 0233 adds, similar to Martha in 11:27, "And he said, 'Yes, Lord, I have come to believe that you are the Son of God the one coming into the world."

      What I need help on is the exact readings of Syriac and Coptic witnesses in v. 36.  Including Sinaitic Syriac if possible.  I am also not positive of my collation of Papyrus 66 in my apparatus.

      David Robert Palmer