New Dead Sea Scroll Discovery

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2014
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1461675504050512&set=a.1441150362769693.1073741828.1431532117064851&type=1&theater
      online images have been released of phylactery texts excavated in the 1950's and just now being extracted.

      Daniel Buck
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2014

        I may be mistaken, but that photo may be an image of a text published in Discoveries in the Judaean Desert VI

        R. de Vaux and J. T. Milik, Qumrân grotte 4.II: I. Archéologie, II. Tefillin, Mezuzot et Targums (4Q 128–4Q157) ( DJD VI ; Oxford: Clarendon, 1977). xi + 91 pp. + xxviii plates.

        The recent announcement apparently is about additional tefillin.

        By the way, the current Dead Sea Discoveries 21 (2014) 3-13 includes a bit of text from Amos (7:17-8:1) in a private collection (Lanier Theological Library, Texas), Emanuel Tov, "New Fragments of Amos."

        Stephen Goranson

        http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

        online images have been released of phylactery texts excavated in the 1950's and just now being extracted.

        Daniel Buck

      • Mr. Buck
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2014
          Yes, I believe you are right Stephen. I jumped the gun a bit. Apparently it's not an easy thing to flatten these tiny scraps of parchment enough to read them--and, it's not likely that any exciting new readings will result anyway.

          Daniel Buck
          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2014
            [moderator note: please include only that part of the previous discussion you reply to. You can assume we have read the thread, and if not, we can find the history in the group on the web.]

            Whatever readings may result, Qumran tefillin have provided some information on differing practices, differing selections of verses used. Not long after Qumran, we see heresy added a negative sense in Greek, more or less at the same time as minim (kinds) and minut (heresy) also added a negative sense in Hebrew. These may be interrelated.

            Stephen Goranson
            heresy discussed here:
            http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/Essenes_&_Others.pdf

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2014
              Whatever readings may result, Qumran tefillin have provided some information on differing practices, differing selections of verses used. Not long after Qumran, we see heresy added a negative sense in Greek, more or less at the same time as minim (kinds) and minut (heresy) also added a negative sense in Hebrew. These may be interrelated.

              Stephen Goranson
              here heresy discussed: