writing instrument

  • Minton, Ron
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2005

      I was studying about ancient writing instruments.  This image from the Decian persecution (AD 250-251) shows how the reed held only a little ink.  Note that the scribe appears to have dipped the reed into ink every few word.

      If image is not attached, see http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=decius+papyrus

      Ron Minton

    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2005
        There is a bit about this subject in:
        P.M. Head & M. Warren, 'Re-inking the Pen: Evidence from P. Oxy. 657 (P13)
        concerning unintentional scribal errors' in NTS 43 (1997) 466-473.
        On-line version:
        http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/Reinking.htm

        Cheers

        At 08:20 PM 5/4/05, you wrote:
        >I was studying about ancient writing instruments. This image from the
        >Decian persecution (AD 250-251) shows how the reed held only a little
        >ink. Note that the scribe appears to have dipped the reed into ink every
        >few word.
        >
        >If image is not attached, see
        ><http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=decius+papyrus>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=decius+papyrus
        >
        >Ron Minton

        > *
        > <mailto:textualcriticism-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>textualcriticism-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
      • Minton, Ron
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2005
          The article was very helpful. Was sharpening reeds mostly the result of
          the reed getting soft from the repeated dipping in liquid or was
          sharpening primarily done because the point dulled with extended use?

          Ron Minton

          At 08:20 PM 5/4/05, you wrote:
          >I was studying about ancient writing instruments. This image from the
          >Decian persecution (AD 250-251) shows how the reed held only a little
          >ink. Note that the scribe appears to have dipped the reed into ink
          every
          >few word.
          >
          >If image is not attached, see
          ><http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=decius+papyrus>http://imag
          es.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=decius+papyrus

          >Ron Minton

          /group/textualcriticism/

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2005
            My impression is the latter, but I can't think of any good evidence off the
            top of my head.

            Peter