new moderator

  • wpelt
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22, 2013
      Dear Group,

      Following the request by the moderator, I will start assisting the moderation as per today.

      I will adhere to the same rules as those in force at present: posts must be on topic (see group description), clearly formulated, phrased with academic courtesy, be of general interest (not directed to one person and certainly not ad hominem) and add new content.

      I do not claim any special knowledge of the subject and have joined to learn. However, as unmoderated groups tend to go up in flames soon, I have nevertheless volunteered.

      Looking forward to the transfer of this group to facebook ;-).

      Wim Pelt
    • Jean G. VALENTIN
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2013

        Hi Wim,

        Transfer to FB is a good idea... Just wondering how it will look like.

        I'm Jean from Brussels, working on Arabic gospel manuscripts, I do not write often to the group, but I read everything...

        Welcome to the new moderator!

        Met al mijn bemoedigingen,

        Jean V.

        Le 22 déc. 2013 à 18:20, <wpelt@...> <wpelt@...> a écrit :

        Dear Group,

        Following the request by the moderator, I will start assisting the moderation as per today.

        I will adhere to the same rules as those in force at present: posts must be on topic (see group description), clearly formulated, phrased with academic courtesy, be of general interest (not directed to one person and certainly not ad hominem) and add new content.

        I do not claim any special knowledge of the subject and have joined to learn. However, as unmoderated groups tend to go up in flames soon, I have nevertheless volunteered.

        Looking forward to the transfer of this group to facebook ;-).

        Wim Pelt

      • Stephen Carlson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22, 2013
          On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Jean G. VALENTIN <jgvalentin@...> wrote:
          Transfer to FB is a good idea... Just wondering how it will look like.

          There is indeed a moderated (or more aptly, policed) Fb group for NT textual criticism at http://www.facebook.com/groups/11404207692/

          Stephen
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
          Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 23, 2013
            I've been a member of this group for nearly a decade, but if it moves to Facebook I probably won't follow. Similarly, when B-Greek switched from an e-mail loop to a website, I didn't make the transition.
            One thing that was extremely valuable to me when I first started in TC was being able to go back and read the thousands of posts on Jimmy Adair's old yahoo group. I hope that, should this site become inactive, that it will at least be kept open in perpetuity for the sake of searching and reading the archives.

            Daniel Buck

            On Monday, December 23, 2013 12:26 PM, Stephen Carlson <stemmatic@...> wrote:

            On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Jean G. VALENTIN <jgvalentin@...> wrote:
            Transfer to FB is a good idea... Just wondering how it will look like.

            There is indeed a moderated (or more aptly, policed) Fb group for NT textual criticism at http://www.facebook.com/groups/11404207692/

            Stephen
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
            Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

          • Dave Washburn
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2013
              I'm inclined to agree. I'm more likely to read an email that comes thru my inbox than I am to do more than scan a random FB post among a gazillion others.

              Dave Washburn
              http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
              Check out my review show, No Life With Irving

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 23, 2013
                Wim,

                I look forward to your participation as moderator here.  Even though the Yahoo Neo format must be destroyed.

                I moderate the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NTTextualCriticism/ (which is not the same as the one that Stephen Carlson mentioned).  All members here are welcome to join and to take advantage of the free files.

                Merry Christmas!

              • David Inglis
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013

                  I have recently joined a few biblical Facebook groups, and there are definite disadvantages compared to the Yahoo groups. First is push vs. pull (i.e. as Dave Washburn wrote, receiving emails is so much easier than looking for posts), but also it’s much easier with the existing Yahoo groups to segregate topics and keep up with new posts on each topic separately. As a non-moderator, I think even the new Yahoo format is better than Facebook.

                  David Inglis

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013
                    If Yahoo is problematic, is Facebook the best alternative? (Real question; others may know more online options.)
                    Stephen Goranson

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013
                      Daniel Buck,

                      So far at the FB Group "NT Textual Criticism," it has not been difficult to navigate overlapping conversations.

                      Also, to compensate for the lack of archives, I intend to make a monthly or semi-monthly digest of the discussions, or a Moderator's Choice of Worthy Posts, and to add the digests to the files, month-by-month - maybe even with an index of topics.

                      So, again, I invite everyone to come try it out, at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NTTextualCriticism/ .

                    • wpelt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013

                        Dear members,

                        May I remind you that it is gooed practice not to add the whole thread to your post. If your post is not a reaction to a previous post, but a new contribution,
                        it can stand by itself.

                        Best regards,

                        Wim

                      • wpelt
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013

                          Dear members,

                          In the first place, my suggestion to move to facebook was at least partly in jest, as the previous owner has stated that he doubts the enduring value of the group. I was happy to see, though, that there was a good facebook group dealing with almost the same matter. So moving this group to facebook does not serve any interest.

                          Let me point out, that on facebook, you can ask for notifications of new posts, and you have the choice between all posts in a group, all new threads and if you chose the latter, you can choose whether to receive e-mail notifications for follow-on posts as well.

                          Retrieving old posts is more difficult than on yahoogroups. The problem with facebook is the limited history, the problem with yahoogroups is that every post is archived, how ephemerical it be, (This is of course a problem for other groups, not for this group where postings are at high level and personal exchanges non-existent).

                          Best wishes for the new year!

                          Wim

                          ---In textualcriticism@{{emailDomain}}, <davidinglis2@...> wrote:

                          I have recently joined a few biblical Facebook groups, and there are definite disadvantages compared to the Yahoo groups. First is push vs. pull (i.e. as Dave Washburn wrote, receiving emails is so much easier than looking for posts), .. <snip>

                          David Inglis

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 26, 2013
                            Dear Group,

                            Let me add to the rules stated below one more rule: a post will be rejected when it only repeats facts and/or arguments already advanced, both pure repetition in a discussion and "me too" type of posts.

                            As I understand your preferences, you prefer the academic character of this group. This additional rule aims at having each posting interesting to all.

                            Best wishes for the second day of Christmas,

                            Wim