Luke 6:35-36 and Matthew 5:45

  • David Inglis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2013

      Thanks to those who helped me regarding Lk 4:16 and 22. Now, another question: Tertullian comments that Marcion had removed from Lk what we see as Mt 5:45, suggesting that he saw the text of Mt 5:45 in his copy of Lk. This is normally dismissed as a mistake by Tertullian, e.g. that he mis-remembered where the text came from, or that he was actually comparing Marcion’s gospel with Mt, not Lk. However, in Dial 96 Justin has:

      “… For He taught us to pray for our enemies also, saying, 'Love your enemies; [6:35a] be kind and merciful, as your heavenly Father is.' [6:36] For we see that the Almighty God is kind and merciful, causing His sun to rise on the unthankful and on the righteous, and sending rain on the holy and on the wicked; [Mt 5:45] all of whom He has taught us He will judge.”

      This suggests that these verses from Lk and Mt were associated with each other at some point, and that Tertullian actually did see the text in his copy of Lk. I would love to have more evidence of this possibility, so I would appreciate anything (pro or con) that anyone could come up with. What is have so far can be found near the end of this page: https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-6

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA