NEED YOUR HELP

  • ron minton
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013

              I Hope you get this on time, I could not inform anyone about my trip, because it was impromptu. I had to be in Manila, Philippines for a program. The program was successful, but my journey has turned sour. I misplaced my wallet and cell phone on my way back to the hotel i lodge in after i went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables things i have. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

              I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 4-6 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon but i am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills. I will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of $2,800 from you, this will enable me sort my hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now.  I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you.

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013
        Ron caught a scam virus.

        Sent: Friday, October 11, 2013 2:14 PM
        To: undisclosed-recipients:
        Subject: [textualcriticism] NEED YOUR HELP

[...]

      • David Inglis
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013

          This is not a virus (Viruses do not announce their presence). It’s a phishing email, is a variant on what is generally known as a Nigerian or 419 scam (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam ), and more properly it’s known as an advance-fee fraud. In the past I have received lots of these via Craigslist when offering rooms to rent. Generally speaking, they offer way too much personal information up front, tend to not respond to questions you may ask them, and ALWAYS end up asking you to send some money up front, often to allow the recipient to free up a much larger sum, of which you will get either all or a large portion. Also, NEVER send any money via Western Union to anyone you don’t know personally – it’s completely un-stoppable and un-traceable if anything goes wrong.

          David Inglis

          Also see this FBI page: http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/fraud

[...]

        • Tommy Wasserman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013
            Someone has apparently taken over Ron Minton's e-mail account.

            Tommy

[...]

          • dexter
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013
              > Someone has apparently taken over Ron Minton's e-mail account.

              Or at least gained access to it. Ron needs to change his email password
              ASAP.

              -dexter

            • ron minton
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013
                My account was hacked, but we got it back the same day - sorry.
                BTW, we had a good password, but they code breakers are getting better at determining the original readings.

                --
                Grace be with you,
                Ron Minton - Ukraine