Dan Wallace's Fragment (Was: something else....)

  • Ehrman, Bart D
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013

          Ah – thanks!  That was just the information I wanted.   I too had to  do this once (for the Gospel of Judas), and I know it makes life difficult.   When I and they others did that, we could, if I remember correctly, indicate with whom we had signed the agreement (National Geographic).   Are you allowed to do so?   The reason I’m pressing is because I regularly get asked about the fragment (since you mentioned the matter in our debate), and I would like to be able to give as complete a reply as possible.

           In our case, as well, we were restricted from giving any information about what was *in* the document, but, if memory serves, we were not disallowed from saying when the information would be forthcoming and by whom.  Does your nondisclosure agreement allow you to provide that kind of information?  (In this case I’m asking because you did earlier indicate when the publication was due out , and I believe you indicated it would be in a book published by Brill.)   And are you able to provide us with any information at all of any kind?  E.g., whether you are the editor of the book or … anything else?

      -          Bart

      Bart D. Ehrman

      James A. Gray Professor

      Department of Religious Studies

      Please Join My New Blog: Christianity in Antiquity (CIA): The Bart Ehrman Blog

      At www.ehrmanblog.org

      From: "Ehrman, Bart D" <behrman@...>
      To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [textualcriticism] Re: Manifest Greatness, Bart Ehrman, the
      KJV, and Luke 17:9

      > OK, thanks. But can you tell us why it has not appeared when you indicated it would? Surely that’s not top secret!!
      >
      > Bart D. Ehrman
      > James A. Gray Professor
      > Department of Religious Studies
      >
      > Please Join My New Blog: Christianity in Antiquity (CIA): The Bart Ehrman Blog
      > At www.ehrmanblog.org<http://www.ehrmanblog.org>

      Enough said. Now, let's get back to textual criticism, as Tommy suggested.

      > Daniel B. Wallace
      > CSNTM

      Books are always late in appearing for large numbers of reasons. But does anyone know anything about it?

      > > - Bart Ehrman
      > >

      > > Bart D. Ehrman
      > > James A. Gray Professor
      > > Department of Religious Studies
      > > University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
      > >
      > > Please Join My New Blog: Christianity in Antiquity (CIA): The Bart Ehrman Blog
      > > At www.ehrmanblog.org<http://www.ehrmanblog.org>

      On Behalf Of Tommy Wasserman
      > > Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:34 AM
      > > To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com<mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Manifest Greatness, Bart Ehrman, the KJV, and Luke 17:9
      > >

      > > Thanks Larry!
      > >
      > > I really concur with your last point, I am also hoping that we can get back to textual criticism.
      > >
      > > Tommy Wasserman
      > >
      > > 29 jul 2013 kl. 20:09 skrev Larry Swain <theswain@...<mailto:theswain%40operamail.com><mailto:theswain@...<mailto:theswain%40operamail.com>>>:
      > >
      > > Actually, I disagree. First, comparing Bart or a movie star's complaint re: the negative aspects of American celebrity to some of the malign human conditions around the world is really an unfair one and is fallacious. Moreover, it really falls flat for
      me when the people in question, in this case Bart and Matt, do things for charity, support charities, and do something that most people in the pews on Sunday don't: try to alleviate some of that suffering in the world by taking direct actions.

      > > Second, no one, neither Bart nor Matt, asked for or even expected the negative aspects of celebrity, nor should those negative aspects (and Bart hardly has the paparrazi on his back, on the one side he has all of conservative, evangelical Christianity in
      America and on the other he has the rabid agnostic/atheists/minimalists. What's more, it's not about someone trying to get a picture of Bart having a burger out with a grad student, since both sides that are now out for blood (at least figuratively though to hear some of the discussion I sometimes wonder) feel betrayed by one of their own and will do everything they can...including lie, use fallacious reasoning, and distort and mischaracterize...to discredit him. That is a much different issue than "the paparazzi". So it seems to me that as bad a response as "good grief" was, this one is just as bad because it really addresses the wrong issues altogether.

      > > Now I remind you that I don't say this as someone who is best buds with Bart Ehrman. If you look through the archives you will find that I have at times criticized some of Bart's statements rather harshly.
      > >
      > > I would say that on a list such as this one, any poster's notoriety or celebrity or lack thereof are immaterial. What's important is the nature of the arguments and evidence. In the case of this lecture it seems to be that tone of the criticism and the
      "apology" demanded etc have everything to do with the notoriety and celebrity in spite of the content. There's no assessment about what he got right in the context of the errors or how important those errors are. And certainly while we on this list often assess a book, article, or scholar's position on various questions of textual criticism, we don't as a rule demand they apologize if we mount evidence against their position or that they give me the money back for the price of the book--I can only conclude from the discussion that the criticism and the concluding demands have everything to do with the person of Bart Ehrman and not the arguments and evidence of Bart Ehrman. It should always be the latter, never the former.

      > > In the spirit of fairness, I have read elsewhere in Bart's works James' #6 and 7 in his list (and no, I'm not a supporter of the originality of the Pericope (pace James) though I love the tale), but rather than demand an apology or my money back or even
      hope for clarification blog wise, I hope that in future these statements will not be made as though fact. Even scholars advanced in careers make mistakes and learn from them.

      > > Let's return to our regularly scheduled program.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Larry Swain
      > > Bemidji State University
      > > theswain@...<mailto:theswain%40operamail.com><mailto:theswain@...<mailto:theswain%40operamail.com>>
      > >

      > > On Sun, Jul 28, 2013, at 08:43 PM, Edward Andrews wrote:
      > >

      > > Dr. Ehrman:
      > >
      > > With all do respect, your first paragraph is an unnecessary complaint. It is like a movie star like Matt Damon, complaining because he cannot go anywhere without being hounded. When I think of all of those who suffer from day-to-day, slaving away in a plastic
      factory for minimum wage, having no insurance for their children, and a famous actor has the best of everything. You chose to become this famous apologist for the agnostic side of the fence. You have garnered a fair amount of celebrity out of it as well, meaning that you do not shy away from a camera. With your celebrity has come the privilege of when you speak, CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, publishers, and liberal progressive society sit up and listen. You could write a paperback with the most provocative title about Jesus or the history of the NT text, and have no real evidence other than the same old arguments you raise, and your book is likely to hit the New York Times bestseller list. Daniel Wallace, Darrel Bock, Norman Geisler could write a book with a non-provocative title about a similar subject, and be Lucky to sell a few hundred without the publisher pushing it to to death. Do you realize that many hundreds of conservative Bible scholars would love to have your impact, your reach, but do not. You have a privileged position that you asked for, and now because the paparazzi are on your back, you feel the need to complain. Really? If you do not like the press, stop hanging out in front of the camera. You did not look too stressed on your repeated trips to the Jon Stewart Daily Show or Stephen Colbert show, and the many others.

      > > Sincerely,
      > > ______________________________
      > > Edward D. Andrews
      > > CEO and President of Christian Publishing House
      > >
      > > http://www.christianpublishers.org<http://www.christianpublishers.org/>
      > > Facebook: www.facebook.com/BibleTransMag<http://www.facebook.com/BibleTransMag>
      > > Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ChristianPublishingHouse
      > > Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/christianway.us
      > > 740-630-9318 office Christian Publishing House
      > > 740-630-9319 office Biblical Training Academy
      > > ________________________________
      > >

      > > ________________________________

      book Misquoting Jesus; a lot of people told me they were upset that I did not reply to these books (all written, as you might imagine, by very conservative evangelical Christians). Just now a 608-page (count them, 608 pages) book was written to refute everything I said, or thought about saying, or imagined thinking about saying, in my book Did Jesus Exist? (Written, as you might again imagine, by people on just the opposite side of the spectrum: atheist or agnostic mythicists). And even *more* people have told me that I have to respond (point by point!). There is a website dedicated to showing that everything I’ve ever said in most of my books wrong (“the Ehrman Project”). And I can’t even give a lecture to a small group of 30 people in Los Angeles without someone fact-checking it point by point (there were a lot of points) and posting a list of ten horrifying errors and asking me if I shouldn’t refund the admission price. So, as I said, I find it tiring. But I shouldn’t have responded as I did; I should have done what I usually do, and just let it go.

      > > I don’t have a detailed response to give, because I am overseas and do not have any of my books with me to go through point by point and fact-check the fact-checkers. That is an additional (large) part of my frustration. It is exacerbated by the fact that
      most of these ten points are so vague that I would have to do a lot of research just to understand what the error was. (#1: which terms? All of the ones I mentioned? Really? That would be interesting; #2 which ones?; #3: I’d have to look that up; #4 this one’s almost certainly right and is a serious mistake; but anyone who hasn’t made mistakes like this on their feet in front of an audience really needs to spend more time on their feet in front of an audience; #5: Metzger did? Really?? Where’s that? Maybe he changed his mind back when he and I talked about it ten years ago; #6, yes, there are a lot of things I didn’t say about the PA in this talk; but I’m not obliged to say everything, and what I said, I think, was true [I haven’t listened to my talk, and I’ve never given the talk a second time; but if I said that the PA is not in any Greek manuscript before Bezae, then that’s true; if you mention Jerome, btw, you need to mention Didymus, who indicates that it was in more than one Gospel]; #7 I don’t know what he’s

      > ----- End Original Message -----

      ----- End Original Message -----

    • Daniel B. Wallace
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
        Sorry for not answering sooner, Bart. Work got in the way today. Life can indeed be difficult with such delicate matters--and you think YOU'RE the one getting bombarded with questions (:-)! The short answer: Nope, can't say anything else. Sorry.

        dbw

        ----- End Original Message -----