Re: New website

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 11, 2013
      Hi Daniel,

      The entry for KAI compendium is at the top of p. 338. Gardthausen doesn't show the initial vertical stroke of the KAPPA for some reason. Here is his explanation courtesy of Google translate:

      "KAI is perhaps the most common word, its forms are very diverse. One must start from the tachygraphic form < with shortcut slash /; then this is occasionally extended over the line and ends with the accent; also, the angle may be rounded."

      The inverted cone symbol on p. 342 represents the sun.

      Best,

      Tim Finney

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Buck" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

      > I didn't find the IS symbol yet, but page 342 shows the angled ice-cream-cone symbol as HLIOS CRUSOS TRIADIKON CROOS.
      >

      > �
      > Daniel Buck�
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Atef Wagih
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi all,

        In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
        While in the LXX is says after three days...etc

        The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.

        I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.

        My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

        Thank you very much.

        In Christ,
        Atef
      • Steve Puluka
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
          On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Atef Wagih wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
          > While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
          >
          > The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.
          >
          > I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.
          >
          > My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

          I checked in Abegg's "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" and Jonah is not listed as extant in the collection. This book collects into modern Bible order and format all the scripture from the Dead Sea Scrolls in an English translation of those texts. This includes references on their original location in the scrolls collection.

          This is a convenient and affordable volume.

          Steve Puluka
          Cantor Holy Ghost Mckees Rocks - Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
          MA Theology Duquesne University
          http://puluka.com/home
        • Dave Washburn
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
            My book, "A Catalog of Biblical Passages in the Dead Sea Scrolls (published by SBL) is a listing of all passages preserved both in the biblical and non-biblical scrolls. Unfortunately, I just moved 3 days ago and still don't know where all my copies are...

            (And I believe the paperback costs less than the DSS Bible...)

            Dave Washburn
            http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
            Check out my review show, No Life With Irving

            To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
            From: spuluka@...
            Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:57:30 -0400
            Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Jonah 3:4 between the MT & LXX

              From: spuluka@...
              Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:57:30 -0400

              On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Atef Wagih wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
              > While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
              >
              > The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.
              >
              > I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.
              >
              > My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

              I checked in Abegg's "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" and Jonah is not listed as extant in the collection. This book collects into modern Bible order and format all the scripture from the Dead Sea Scrolls in an English translation of those texts. This includes references on their original location in the scrolls collection.

              This is a convenient and affordable volume.

              Steve Puluka
              Cantor Holy Ghost Mckees Rocks - Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
              MA Theology Duquesne University
              http://puluka.com/home

            • Drew Longacre
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
                Atef, according to Ulrich, 4QXII(a, g, and f) have Jonah, but not this verse. The Nahal Hever Greek minor prophets scroll apparently reads "forty," however.

                -Drew Longacre

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
                  I'm reading 1 Kingdoms in the Breton LXX and realizing how corrupted the text became by the 4th century--for example, an interpolation of Jeremiah 9:23 into 2:10.

                  This looks to me like a remote harmonization to Matthew 12:40.

                  Daniel Buck

                  From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>

                  From: Atef Wagih <atef_wagih@...>

                  Hi all,

                  In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
                  While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
                  . . .
                  In Christ,
                  Atef