Re: [textualcriticism] Re: New website

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 10 6:36 AM
      On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM, yennifmit <tjf@...> wrote:

      > Yes, it's a KAI compendium. They can occur anywhere, not just at the end of a line. A good book which covers such things is:
      >
      > Gardthausen, V. 1913. Griechische Palaeographie. Vol. 2. Die Schrift,
      > Unterschriften und Chronologie im Alterum und im Byzantinischen
      > Mittelalter. 2nd ed. Leipzig: Veit. Repr. 1978. Berlin: Nationales
      > Druckhaus.

      It's available online here:

      http://archive.org/details/griechischepaleo02gard

      John

      --
      John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
      JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://gplus.to/jmccyoung
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10 6:08 PM
        Thanks John!

        Pages 335-52 are especially useful when deciphering minuscules.

        Best,

        Tim Finney

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, John McChesney-Young <jmccyoung@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM, yennifmit <tjf@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Yes, it's a KAI compendium. They can occur anywhere, not just at the end of a line. A good book which covers such things is:
        > >
        > > Gardthausen, V. 1913. Griechische Palaeographie. Vol. 2. Die Schrift,
        > > Unterschriften und Chronologie im Alterum und im Byzantinischen
        > > Mittelalter. 2nd ed. Leipzig: Veit. Repr. 1978. Berlin: Nationales
        > > Druckhaus.
        >
        > It's available online here:
        >
        > http://archive.org/details/griechischepaleo02gard
        >
        > John
        >

        > --
        > John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
        > JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://gplus.to/jmccyoung

      • Mr. Buck
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 11 10:37 AM
          I didn't find the IS symbol yet, but page 342 shows the angled ice-cream-cone symbol as HLIOS CRUSOS TRIADIKON CROOS.

          Daniel Buck

          Pages 335-52 are especially useful when deciphering minuscules.

          Best,

          Tim Finney

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, John McChesney-Young <jmccyoung@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM, yennifmit <tjf@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Yes, it's a KAI compendium. They can occur anywhere, not just at the end of a line. A good book which covers such things is:
          > >
          > > Gardthausen, V. 1913. Griechische Palaeographie. Vol. 2. Die Schrift,
          > > Unterschriften und Chronologie im Alterum und im Byzantinischen
          > > Mittelalter. 2nd ed. Leipzig: Veit. Repr. 1978. Berlin: Nationales
          > > Druckhaus.
          >
          > It's available online here:
          >
          > http://archive.org/details/griechischepaleo02gard
          >
          > John
        • yennifmit
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 11 7:08 PM
            Hi Daniel,

            The entry for KAI compendium is at the top of p. 338. Gardthausen doesn't show the initial vertical stroke of the KAPPA for some reason. Here is his explanation courtesy of Google translate:

            "KAI is perhaps the most common word, its forms are very diverse. One must start from the tachygraphic form < with shortcut slash /; then this is occasionally extended over the line and ends with the accent; also, the angle may be rounded."

            The inverted cone symbol on p. 342 represents the sun.

            Best,

            Tim Finney

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Buck" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

            > I didn't find the IS symbol yet, but page 342 shows the angled ice-cream-cone symbol as HLIOS CRUSOS TRIADIKON CROOS.
            >

            > �
            > Daniel Buck�
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Atef Wagih
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14 4:49 PM
              Hi all,

              In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
              While in the LXX is says after three days...etc

              The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.

              I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.

              My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

              Thank you very much.

              In Christ,
              Atef
            • Steve Puluka
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14 4:57 PM
                On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Atef Wagih wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
                > While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
                >
                > The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.
                >
                > I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.
                >
                > My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

                I checked in Abegg's "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" and Jonah is not listed as extant in the collection. This book collects into modern Bible order and format all the scripture from the Dead Sea Scrolls in an English translation of those texts. This includes references on their original location in the scrolls collection.

                This is a convenient and affordable volume.

                Steve Puluka
                Cantor Holy Ghost Mckees Rocks - Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
                MA Theology Duquesne University
                http://puluka.com/home
              • Dave Washburn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 14 11:31 PM
                  My book, "A Catalog of Biblical Passages in the Dead Sea Scrolls (published by SBL) is a listing of all passages preserved both in the biblical and non-biblical scrolls. Unfortunately, I just moved 3 days ago and still don't know where all my copies are...

                  (And I believe the paperback costs less than the DSS Bible...)

                  Dave Washburn
                  http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                  Check out my review show, No Life With Irving

                  To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
                  From: spuluka@...
                  Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:57:30 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Jonah 3:4 between the MT & LXX

                    From: spuluka@...
                    Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:57:30 -0400

                    On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Atef Wagih wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
                    > While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
                    >
                    > The explanation I read about this is that this is a coying error in the LXX.
                    >
                    > I checked it in Coptic and found it "three", i believe that this is because it is based on the LXX.
                    >
                    > My Question is: do we have copies of the book of Jonah in the Dead Sea scrolls? and if so what does it read?

                    I checked in Abegg's "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible" and Jonah is not listed as extant in the collection. This book collects into modern Bible order and format all the scripture from the Dead Sea Scrolls in an English translation of those texts. This includes references on their original location in the scrolls collection.

                    This is a convenient and affordable volume.

                    Steve Puluka
                    Cantor Holy Ghost Mckees Rocks - Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
                    MA Theology Duquesne University
                    http://puluka.com/home

                  • Drew Longacre
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 15 5:59 AM
                      Atef, according to Ulrich, 4QXII(a, g, and f) have Jonah, but not this verse. The Nahal Hever Greek minor prophets scroll apparently reads "forty," however.

                      -Drew Longacre

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 15 11:23 AM
                        I'm reading 1 Kingdoms in the Breton LXX and realizing how corrupted the text became by the 4th century--for example, an interpolation of Jeremiah 9:23 into 2:10.

                        This looks to me like a remote harmonization to Matthew 12:40.

                        Daniel Buck

                        From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>

                        From: Atef Wagih <atef_wagih@...>

                        Hi all,

                        In Jonah 3:4 in the MT it says that after forty days the city will be destroyed.
                        While in the LXX is says after three days...etc
                        . . .
                        In Christ,
                        Atef