[textualcriticism] Original Manuscripts of Hebrew NT Found!

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 29, 2005
      IN CANADA!

      http://www.twu.ca/news/view-specific.aspx?newsID=396

      Other than the initial folly and the over-blown PR claims there is some
      news here re the Swanson project. [from http://michaelpahl.blogspot.com/%5d

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
    • voxverax
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2005
        Dear Dr. Head,

        Just a few quick replies:

        PH: ... "It is insufficient in this connection since it is about
        Codex Sinaiticus!"

        Ach; sleepy me. Still, taking what Skeat has written (especially
        about the likelihood that one of the scribes of B is probably the
        supervisor of Aleph, and his observations in his 1999 essay -- even
        if the main idea isn't right) and what others have written (not to
        mention WW's detailed website with the ending-columns of each NT book
        on display), it looks like the question about the propensity of B's
        scribes can be answered: setting aside the end of Mark, did the
        scribes of B intentionally leave a blank column anywhere else? No,
        except for those two "seams" in the OT. To me this demonstrates a
        strong tendency not to arbitrarily leave blank columns, which in turn
        indicates that the blank column at the end of Mark is a deliberate
        and provoked feature.

        PH: "The balancing statement is a judgement about probabilities and
        to use 'older' here is unclear" ...

        I rephrase: The common statement that "the two earliest Greek
        manuscripts lack 16:9-20" should be balanced by the statement that
        the copyist of the earliest manuscript of Mark 16 probably had
        encountered the LE in some copy of Mark that was older than
        Vaticanus.

        PH: ... "One problem with this would be why he never returned to
        fill the blank space [Perhaps like Mark before him he died before he
        could get round to it]."

        Or perhaps he was making the MS for someone else, and figured that
        the eventual owner would have the means and the desire to complete
        the text.

        Yours in Christ,

        Jim Snapp II
        Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
        Indiana, USA
        www.curtisvillechristian.org
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2005
          Marginally relevant:
          There is a novel by Paul L. Maier called
          "A Skeleton in God's Closet"
          where a sentence is discovered at the end of Vaticanus Mark 16 using UV light. This then, of course, is shaking the foundation of the (catholic) church. Worth reading, good book. The sentence BTW is:
          O DE TO SWMA IHSOU ANELHMFQH.

          PS: That this is not simple fiction can be seen from the fact that the name of the pope in this novel is Benedict XVI ! The book is from 1994.
          :-)

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Countach
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2005
            voxverax wrote:

            > This other text was John
            > 21, which may have circulated as "floating" text before being re-
            > worked and incorporated into (or onto) the Gospel of John. (That
            > would explain, at least, the resumption of the narrative after the
            > ending-like end of John 20.)

            I don't see any evidence at all that Jn 20:31 is an ending. v28
            discusses Thomas' requirement that to see a miracle is to believe. v29
            is Jesus' response that to believe _without_ seeing a miracle is to be
            blessed. v30 continues the miracle theme by saying there are a lot more
            miracles not mentioned. v31 says that the book is written to tell of
            these miracles so that you may believe. Thus everything from 29-31 is a
            necessary exposition of the "doubting Thomas" incident. The fact that no
            manuscripts, church fathers, or any other evidence omits Ch 21, means
            that this is gratuitous speculation to say that ch 31 is a later addition.