Re: Bart Ehrman and Origen on Matthew 19:21

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Daniel,

      Please see below...

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Buck <bucksburg@...> wrote:

      > First of all, it is interesting that Origen tested the value of a reading by whether or not it was supported in a parallel passage. This mindset could definitely lead to harmonizations being perpetuated in the transmission of the text.

      I agree. But it looks to me like Origen is engaged in some sophisticated textual criticism here.

      > Secondly, it appears that Origen had before him a copy of Matthew in which 19:21 was immediately followed by a harmonizing interpolation. Origen goes on to clarify that this reading is found in the Hebrew edition of Matthew's gospel, along with other variants from the Greek texts:
      >
      > “The ruler said to him: Master, what good must I do good to live?”   He said to him: “Man, fulfill the law and the prophets.” He answered to him: “I have done this.” He said to him: “Go, sell everything you own, and distribute it to the poor, and come and follow me!  The ruler, however, started to scratch in the head and it did not please him. The man said to him: “How you say: ‘I have fulfilled the law and the prophets?’” [Jesus replied,] “Since it is written in the law: ‘You should love your neighbor as yourself!’”

      Isn't Origen referring to the Gospel of the Hebrews? Isn't he saying that it does not include "love your neighbour as yourself" among the list of commands? (Which omission is supported by Luke and Mark but not Matthew.)

      > Actually, it appears that if there was any harmonization going on, it was to another Gospel story entirely--one already found in Matthew 22:35-40, Mark 12:28-34, and Luke 10:25-37. Why Origen made no effort to distinguish between the two is a mystery.
      >
      > A couple of questions:
      > 1) Do any extant manuscripts have this interpolation? I would especially look for it in mss of the Eastern text.

      Looking at the INTF's _Parallel Pericopes_ (Strutwolf and Wachtel, eds; German Bible Society, 2011), no Greek MSS except 130 and 792 omit what Origen seems to think is an interpolation at this point in Matthew's Gospel (i.e. love your neighbour as yourself). (And I'm glad to see you mention the Eastern text.)

      > 2) Do any extant manuscripts quote Origen in the margin or commentary at Matthew 19:21 or 22:39?

      I don't know, sorry.

      Best,

      Tim Finney