The rescue of manuscripts from Timbuktu

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
      In an invasion reminiscent of that which sent the Alexandrian library up in flames, jihadists moved into Timbuktu, took over the Ahmed Baba Centre--home to some 30,000 medieval Arabic manuscripts from all over Islamic West Africa--and burned everything they could find.

      That they were only able to find 4000 pages is testament to a months-long undercover operation to remove the library's holdings to safer ground . . .

      Among these manuscripts are medieval Arabic translations of ancient Greek authors like Plato and Aristotle--some of which may no longer be extant in Greek. They were still in the process of being collected, calalogued, and scanned when the jihadists invaded Mali. Presently, away from the dry climate of Timbuktu, they are in danger of succumbing to mold and mildew, so restoration attempts are now underway.

      Codicological note: The books are generally in loose-leaf form, without page numbering and wrapped in leather covers. This is why they are sometime numbered by manuscript, and sometimes by page count.

      Daniel Buck
    • sunn_rise1973
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
        I have read a statement of the Mali's Jihadits, in which they said they did not burn any ms. But rather they tried to save the mss. which the fire of the French Forces caught.