Re: [textualcriticism] Scribal theological tendencies (was: ms 61)

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Martin,

      Martin wrote:

      >PS Tommy, thanx for your helpful article in NTS 51(2005) about P72.
      >What about the other papyri? Are there clear tendencies that their
      scribes sometimes reinforced their >theology, too (underlining Christ as God or similar)?

      I have not worked very much with these questions, but I am sure that you are familiar with Bart D. Ehrman's "Orhtodox Corruption..." which provides a thorough (and controversial) discussion of the matter. There have been a number of works through the years on this and related subjects, but I am sure that you will find most of them in Ehrman's bibliography.

      In my own work on P72 I was particularly interested in related tendencies in P75 (also among the so-called Dishna Papers); see M. C. Parsons, "A Christological Tendency in P75," JBL 105 (1986): 463-79.  However, in the search for any tendencies, one must beware of a biassed method - it is equally important to consider evidence to the contrary (cf. C. K. Barrett, "Is There a Theological Tendency in Codex Bezae," in Text and Interpretation: Studies in the New Testament Presented to Matthew Black (eds. E. Best and R. M. Wilson; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1979), 15-27.

      The controversial discussion about "Tendenz" will go on, but, unfortunately, I do not have time to pursue it myself at the moment.

      Tommy Wasserman
      Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
      Lund University
      Sweden

      www.spray.se/kopsalj - gör dagens superaffär! Välj bland 82 723 annonser.