Re: Interlinear English Translation for NA27/NA28 ?

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hi Atef,

      If you have an Internet connection where you do your Bible study then you can use this. It has a "Greek" tab which gives the Greek with English translations:

      http://biblehub.com/text/john/1-1.htm

      One can select between a number of Greek editions.

      I like to use Perseus to look up those Greek words which are critical for establishing the meaning:

      http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/resolveform?type=exact&lookup=anqrwpos&lang=greek

      Best,

      Tim Finney

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Atef Wagih <atef_wagih@...> wrote:

      > HI All,
      >
      > I am just wondering, is there any interlinear Engilah translation for NA27 or NA28 ?
      >
      > I am serving a Bible study group and sometimes when people want to inquire about a specific meaning I want to answer with the most accurate translation.
      >
      > I checked the Nestle Aland website
      >
      > http://www.nestle-aland.com/en/extra-navigation/druckausgaben/
      >

      > They will be publishing the following:
      >
      > "Greek-English New Testament
      > This edition provides the complete Nestle-Aland together with two leading English Bible translations:�
      > the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) and the Revised English Bible (REB).�
      > Date of publication: Summer 2013"
      >
      > However, I don't believe that it is an interlinear translation.
      > I emailed them last week but got no response so far.
      > Any input?
      > Thanks a lot.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Atef Raouf

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2013
        Atef,

        The answer may depend on what you mean by "interlinear."

        Some consider any Greek edition with an English translation on the facing page to be an Interlinear.

        To me it means a Greek critical text (whether it be Westcott & Hort, N-A 26/27/28, Byzantine Text, Majority Text, or whatever) with English glosses of the basic meaning of each Greek word directly underneath them.

        I know there are several of these latter type interlinears in the book market, each using different critical editions and English translations. Publishers range from Conservative Christian bodies to the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society. Last time I looked, though, was around 2003 so I do not know what to tell you as far as recommendations go.

        If this is the kind of interlinear you are looking for, try ISA Scripture Analyzer at
        http://www.scripture4all.org/
        The basic program can be downloaded or you can use their web interface. The Critical Greek edition used is that of Westcott & Hort published 1881. It looks as though this organization offers other critical texts besides W-H 1881, and translations other than the KJV, but the demo program cannot seem to access them.

        There is also at least one web site that is obviously using this program in modified form (without attribution but probably under license) that extends the number of translations that can be used beyond the limited number available at the site above.
        http://www.interlinearbible.org
        I did not see any description of the Greek critical text used, but it is likely an edition of the Majority Text.

        I will warn you, though, that the very mention of this type of interlinear on a list like this will generate instant and pretty strong push-back from those who can read Greek without the aid of an interlinear. While they may be doing so because an interlinear cannot convey every meaning that the author's grammar and vocabulary intended to convey, it has a rather bad tendency to come across as the Pharisees did when interrogating the Man Born Blind (GNT John 9:34).

        But if a seminary education is not already a part of your resume and will not be in the future, buy or download a beginning Greek Grammar and suddenly this kind of interlinear can become a learning tool.

        David C Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio, USA

        1a. Interlinear English Translation for NA27/NA28 ?
        Posted by: "Atef Wagih" atef_wagih@... atef_wagih
        Date: Tue Jun 4, 2013 10:56 am ((PDT))

        HI All,

        I am just wondering, is there any interlinear English translation for NA27 or NA28?

        Atef Raouf
      • TeunisV
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
          The Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of the Empahtic Diaglott is composed by Benjamin Wilson:
          http://archive.org/details/emphaticdiaglott00wils

          Teunis van Lopik

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "David C. Hindley" <dhindley@...> wrote:

          > Atef,
          >
          > The answer may depend on what you mean by "interlinear."
          >
          > Some consider any Greek edition with an English translation on the facing page to be an Interlinear.
          >
          > To me it means a Greek critical text (whether it be Westcott & Hort, N-A 26/27/28, Byzantine Text, Majority Text, or whatever) with English glosses of the basic meaning of each Greek word directly underneath them.
          >
          > I know there are several of these latter type interlinears in the book market, each using different critical editions and English translations. Publishers range from Conservative Christian bodies to the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society. Last time I looked, though, was around 2003 so I do not know what to tell you as far as recommendations go.
          >
          > If this is the kind of interlinear you are looking for, try ISA Scripture Analyzer at
          > http://www.scripture4all.org/
          > The basic program can be downloaded or you can use their web interface. The Critical Greek edition used is that of Westcott & Hort published 1881. It looks as though this organization offers other critical texts besides W-H 1881, and translations other than the KJV, but the demo program cannot seem to access them.
          >
          > There is also at least one web site that is obviously using this program in modified form (without attribution but probably under license) that extends the number of translations that can be used beyond the limited number available at the site above.
          > http://www.interlinearbible.org
          > I did not see any description of the Greek critical text used, but it is likely an edition of the Majority Text.
          >
          > I will warn you, though, that the very mention of this type of interlinear on a list like this will generate instant and pretty strong push-back from those who can read Greek without the aid of an interlinear. While they may be doing so because an interlinear cannot convey every meaning that the author's grammar and vocabulary intended to convey, it has a rather bad tendency to come across as the Pharisees did when interrogating the Man Born Blind (GNT John 9:34).
          >
          > But if a seminary education is not already a part of your resume and will not be in the future, buy or download a beginning Greek Grammar and suddenly this kind of interlinear can become a learning tool.
          >
          > David C Hindley
          > Newton Falls, Ohio, USA

        • Daniel Buck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
            David,

            Incredibly enough, the WH electronic text is still protected by some sort of copyright. The scriptureforall website has an update notice:
            10 Oct. 2009    ISA basic 2.1

            Due to copyright claims we had to replace the WHNA text. We now temporarily replace it with Scriverners Textus Receptus 1894. At a later date we plan to add the NA/USB variants as a comment or popup window.

            For people who have already ISA basic 2.0.8 installed and want to keep the WHNA text, can install version 2.1 and still use the WHNA. But if they want to use the ScrTR they have to uninstall the old version first.

            The interlinearbible site has the following credit line:
            Greek Text Based on the Westcott-Hort Edition of 1881,
            with Nestle-Aland variants and additional Textus Receptus passages displayed as follows:
            (WH only) [NA Only] {TR only}
            * NA Variant Spelling  ** NA Variant Word
            WH ⇔ NA Word order switch

            Daniel Buck

            Date: Tue Jun 4, 2013 10:56 am ((PDT))

            HI All,

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
              Daniel,

              WH is now well and truly in the public domain. It's the NA bit that creates copyright issues.

              Tim