Help with some more Latin, please

  • David Inglis
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2013

      Thank to those who replied to my previous question. This time it’s Tertullian (again) in Adv. Marcion IV, chapter 35, discussing the ‘many lepers in Israel’ passage in Lk:

      “Nunc etsi praefatus est multos tunc fuisse leprosos apud Israelem in diebus Helisaei prophetae”

      It’s the beginning I’m interested in, and I’ve seen a couple of translations: “Now, although He said in a preceding chapter,” or “Now although he has said before this.” In this case “He” or “he” is intended to refer to either Jesus or Marcion (the context is not clear), but I’m wondering whether it would be more accurate to translate the beginning as “Now although it has been previously said” or something similar. Would anyone care to help?

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549,USA

      Tricky NT Textual Issues

    • Dr. Don Wilkins