Re: [textualcriticism] FW: Help with some Latin, please.

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2013
      On 5/7/2013 2:16 PM, David Inglis wrote:
      > Apologies to anyone who has seen this request on another list:
      >
      > Could someone help me with some Latin from Tertullian, Adv. Marcion IV.
      > He is commenting on Marcion either needing to remove, or having already
      > removed, from his gospel some text that we only see today in Mt. The
      > Latin is: Ut dici solet, ad quod venimus; hoc age, Marcion, aufer etiam
      > illud de evangelio, Non sum missus nisi ad oves perditas domus Israel,
      > et, Non est auferre panem filiis et dare eum canibus, ne scilicet
      > Christus Israelis videretur.

      Greetings, David -- I know you have already interacted with Stephen on
      this. Here is a "literal" translation of the Latin as it stands above:

      As it is accustomed to be said, for that which we have come, this do:
      Marcion, take away even that from the gospel, <that> "I have not been
      sent except to the lost sheep of Israel" and "It is not right to take
      bread from the sons and give it to the dogs" so that Christ not appear
      to be of Israel."

      > Here are two different translations:
      >
      > As the adage runs: "The business on which we are come, do at once."
      > Marcion must even expunge from the Gospel, "I am not sent but unto the
      > lost sheep of the house of Israel;" and, "It is not meet to take the
      > children's bread, and to cast it to dogs," -- in order, forsooth, that
      > Christ may not appear to be an Israelite. (I take this as meaning:
      > “Marcion needed to remove from the Gospel…”, i.e. that he has already
      > removed it)
      >
      > And:
      >
      > As the saying goes, let us get down to it: to your task, Marcion: remove
      > even this from the gospel, I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the
      > house of Israel, and, It is not <meet> to take away the children's bread
      > and give it to dogs: for this gives the impression that Christ belongs
      > to Israel. (I take this as meaning; “Marcion, you need to remove from
      > the Gospel…”, i.e. that he hasn’t removed it yet, but should)
      >
      > Which of these meanings is correct (or closer to the Latin)? Help much
      > appreciated.

      As pointed out, we are dealing with present imperatives here, age and
      aufer. However, I am not sure your question can be answered apart from
      more context -- it appears to me that it is something that Marcion
      should have done to be consistent with is principles.

      --
      N.E. Barry Hofstetter
      Semper melius Latine sonat