DigiPal relaunch

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      I just received an email announcing the DigiPal website relaunch:

      http://www.digipal.eu/

      The announcement included this:

      "For those of you who haven't been following our progress, DigiPal is a web-based resource for the
      delivery of palaeographical content. Although our test case is eleventh-century Anglo-Saxon vernacular
      script, the underlying DigiPal framework has been designed to work with multiple periods and languages,
      and we already have Scandinavian and Hebrew projects using our tools, with the intention to extend the
      framework to further materials, including cuneiform."

      Perhaps DigiPal would be a useful platform for crowd-sourced transcription and mark up of Bible manuscripts (Hebrew Bible and New Testament)? Such a system could be used as a supplement to the (great) work already being done by groups such as the INTF, ITSEE, CSNTM, and CNTTS. E.g., say that some MS is not yet transcribed. Then an interested person could adopt the MS and begin transcription within the chosen framework. The trick would be how to vet the transcriptions, as not all transcribers are equal. When mark up is involved, there is enormous potential for differences between transcriptions. A major component of the problem is adequate peer review: finding people who know their stuff and have time to review transcriptions. Still, something is better than nothing, and the Internet has a lot of people looking at it. (Problems would tend to be found.)

      Best,

      Tim Finney