Re: Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Danger" <sigebryht@...> wrote:
      >> Dear Colleagues,

      I am writing a paper for eventual publication (hopefully), but I need to know the correct term for the literary phenomenon I am describing in the Hebrew Scriptures.

      The concept I am describing is when the same lexical root is repeated in a sentence to provide emphasis.

      For example, note the repetition of QCP in Zechariah 1:2 - "The L-rd was angry with anger" (i.e., the L-rd was very angry). In this instance, the lexical root has the same basic meaning in both occurrences.<<

      I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned (I'd forgotten it myself), but the official term is 'infinitive absolute.'

      http://www.textexcavation.com/infinitiveabsolute.html