New Post: Geerlings Donation

  • Stratton L. Ladewig
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2013
      Wieland,

      I'd like to post the following message to the board.

      Geerlings Donation: Welcomed Commodities

      Upon the passing of Jacob Geerlings, a notable textual critic of a previous generation, the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago donated several boxes Geerlings’s work to the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts (CSNTM). In addition to publishing many works, Geerlings was a virtual machine in producing much of the necessary labor that stands behind the publication of The Gospel According to St. Luke, which is a part of the International Greek New Testament Project (IGNTP) (see http://www.igntp.org). IGNTP now stands behind the current scholarly published Greek New Testaments.

      The contents of the donation include microfilms, photostats, research notes, prepublication volumes, personal correspondence, and publication contracts/instructions. Among the treasures in the Geerlings’s collection are more than one hundred microfilms of New Testament manuscripts and collations of additional manuscripts. Some of the films contain extra-biblical ancient documents, a few of which are in other languages like Arabic, Georgian, and Latin. A photostat is a photocopy made with a machine whose printout is on special paper. These reproductions of manuscripts reflect valuable data. Among the prepublication volumes is the IGNTP’s Luke. The work of others who were involved with the manuscripts behind the published Greek New Testaments that we rely upon today is also included in the collection. For example, we have Allen Wikgren’s (listed on UBS4’s title page as an editor of former editions) composite collation of 251 Greek Gospel lectionaries in four test passages. We are currently in the process of digitizing the donated materials.

      We at CSNTM stand on the shoulders of giants in the field of New Testament textual criticism. CSNTM is excited about the Geerlings materials that we now possess, and we want to express our gratitude to the Lutheran School of Theology for their generosity.

      Stratton Ladewig
      Project Manager
      The Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts

      Sincerely,

      SL

      ———

      Stratton L. Ladewig, Ph.D.
      Project Manager
      The Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts
      2001 W Plano Pkwy Ste 1043
      Plano, TX 75075-8606