Re: Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2013
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Danger" <sigebryht@...> wrote:

      >> For an example in Greek, see the expression "PARANGELIA PARENGEILAMEN" IN Acts 5:28 - "We STRICTLY commanded." I suspect that the repetition of the same lexical root for emphasis here reflects Semitic usage. In other words, the author of Acts may be translating this expression directly from the Aramaic or Hebrew injunction issued by the Sanhedrin in this account.<<

      Actually, I prefer diplorhema, if I have to coin the word myself. An interesting case of Semetic diplorhema is in the account of the regicide of King Amaziah in 2 Chronicles 25:27.

      The Hebrew uses a diplorhema of QSR (conspire), and the LXX translates it with a Greek diplorhema, EPEQENTO AUTW EPIQESIN (in 2 Kings 14:19, SUNESTRAFHSAN EP AUTON SUSTREMMA).

      In a similar context, 2 Kings 21:23 has QSR without any diplorhema in Hebrew or Greek.

      Daniel Buck
    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2013
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Danger" <sigebryht@...> wrote:
        >> Dear Colleagues,

        I am writing a paper for eventual publication (hopefully), but I need to know the correct term for the literary phenomenon I am describing in the Hebrew Scriptures.

        The concept I am describing is when the same lexical root is repeated in a sentence to provide emphasis.

        For example, note the repetition of QCP in Zechariah 1:2 - "The L-rd was angry with anger" (i.e., the L-rd was very angry). In this instance, the lexical root has the same basic meaning in both occurrences.<<

        I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned (I'd forgotten it myself), but the official term is 'infinitive absolute.'

        http://www.textexcavation.com/infinitiveabsolute.html