Re: Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronama

  • C L
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2013
      Dear Colleagues,

      Thank you for the term "cognate accusative." I prefer it to what seems to be the correct Greek term:
      paregmenon (παρηγμενον).

      Would it be more correct to say "cognate repetition," since Hebrew has no accusative case as such? Or is it merely acceptable that the noun fits the accusative slot (i.e., the noun is the grammatical object of the verb)?

      Best,

      Chris Lovelace
    • C L
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2013
        Thanks, Daniel.

        In the case of Zechariah 1:2, 1:14-15, and 8:2-3, the term that applies is "cognate accusative," as someone on the group mentioned.

        You're right that the infinitve absolute is often used with its finite verbal cognate, but Zechariah uses cognate nouns instead of verbs. Similar syntactic idea, different parts of speech to fill the slots.

        I appreciate your help.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Lovelace