Franciscus Lucas Brugensis

  • philip maertens
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2013
      Dear all,

      For those interested in the history of textual criticism, I just uploaded a document on independent.academia.edu with some remarks on the work of Franciscus Lucas Brugensis. Before tackling his work on the Latin text of the New Testament, it seemed indicated to have a closer look at his remarks on the Latin text of the Old Testament. The document seeks in a modest way to situate his work in a historical context and offers some examples of his remarks. A second part (coming soon I hope) shall have a closer look at his use of versions, more specifically his use of the targumic tradition. The link to the paper is

      http://independent.academia.edu/PhilipMaertens/Papers

      Please feel free to share your thoughts and remarks.

      Sunny greetings from the Algarve, Portugal
    • TeunisV
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2013
        The exegetical en textcritical work of F. Lucas is edited by G. van Velden in the edition of Leiden, 1712.
        For the treatise on the targumic tradition see Tractatus de usu de Chaldaicae paraphraseos in vol. 5, pp. 7-26.

        The 1712 edition is digitized:
        http://books.google.ca/books/about/Commentarius_in_sacro_sancta_quatuor_Ies.html?id=JUf_9Isre9EC (vols 1-2)
        http://books.google.ca/books/about/Commentarius_in_sacro_sancta_quatuor_Ies.html?id=JofQsxvAgBgC (vols 3-5)

        On the Jansenistic background of the 1712 edition, see:
        http://www.academia.edu/2700400/Leidse_drukken_in_de_Stompwijkse_polder

        Teunis van Lopik

        Brugen