Re: [textualcriticism] von Soden key

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
      I don't have that booklet, but you might find the appendices in Aland's Kurzegefaßte Liste useful for converting to and from the von Soden numbers.

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
      Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013

        Hello all.

        I was helping a student today work through the apparatus for an assignment in an introductory exegesis class.

        We were looking up manuscripts in Appendix I in the NA28 and came across what looks like a potential typo (p. 813).

        The table states that ms.1841 contains ap *R, while the NA27 has ap (*)r.

        Now I know it’s minor, but shouldn’t the NA28 have an r rather than an R? Typically the R points to “Romans” but in this case, the * indicates that the 1841 is a consistently cited witness for Revelation (which if used in Appendix I is typically a lowercase ‘r’, unless indicated in a string of exceptions, where it is abbreviated Ap).

        This is the kind of thing that causes quite a hiccup for librarians helping seminary students new to TC (especially when the librarian is new to the NA28). ;^)

        Jim Darlack, Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction

        GORDON-CONWELL
        THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY

        GODDARD LIBRARY
        130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
        (978) 646-4004 | jdarlack@...
        www.facebook.com/goddardlibrary
        www.gordonconwell.edu/library