D. C. Parker and the Ending of Mark: Do Variants Matter?

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013
      D. C. Parker, in his 1997 book "The Living Text of the Gospels," has a chapter about the end of Mark. I'm not going to critique that today, even there it is a target-rich environment. Instead, let's jump to the end and see what Dr. Parker thinks of the idea that no textual variants have a significant theological impact. From page 147:

      "Finally, textual criticism has, by patient and generally unspectacular work, managed in the course of the last 150 years to recover the Short and original Ending of Mark. To read the Gospel with this ending is to read a new book. This new book offers radical theological interpretations which had been wholly stifled by the ecclesiastical pieties of the Intermediate and Long Endings. Let it be said only by the unimaginative and those who know nothing of the past that textual criticism is insignificant or unnecessary."

      "This new book offers radical theological interpretations"?? Hmm.