The Vatican Library is A Little Bit Online

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2013
      This just in: Rober Pearse reports that the Vatican Library has released digital images of 256 of its manuscripts. Not necessarily Greek New Testament MSS; so far it's Latin MSS, and patristic material, classical compositions, etc.

      I think #177 is a nicely decorated (distinct Insular style) copy of Jerome's Commentary on Matthew. #485 has a page with the Greek alphabet -- the only Greek I saw on any page, after some random hunting. #64, from the 800's, includes some interesting texts (Apocalypse of Thomas, Vision of Paul). #18 is the Gospels of Matthew and John, in Latin. #57 includes the Epistles of Paul, in Latin - a copy from the 800's, I think.

      The link to the rather opaque catalog-list is
      http://www.vaticanlibrary.va/home.php?pag=mss_digitalizzati&BC=11

      Roger Pearse's blog-post describing some of them is at
      http://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2013/02/02/vatican-manuscripts-online/

      The announcement from Vatican Radio of the release of the digital images is at
      http://www.news.va/en/news/first-documents-from-vatican-library-go-online

      In the Vatican Radio report one reads that "A similar project with the Bodleian Libraries in Oxford is also underway to make more of the material available as soon as possible." Hmm.