Re: [textualcriticism] CSNTM and The "Translation" at the Codex Sinaiticus website email from Snapp

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM, robertdmarcello <rmarcello@...>
      wrote in part:

      > [The presence of the page images at Archive.org] misleads site visitors since these images were not given permission to be published on a different website and are not credited.

      I'm puzzled by the latter part of the statement, because the linked
      page (http://archive.org/details/GA_01) explicitly says "Scans from
      csntm.org/manuscript."

      > If you happen to know how they were posted or why the site incorrectly indicates that they are copyright free, it may be helpful to let CSNTM know.

      Many scans are uploaded by users wanting to share works they think are
      not covered by copyright, and the site admins probably didn't think
      the scans were other than copyright-free because they are of a work
      published in 1911, which in the US puts it in the public domain. I am
      not a lawyer, but my understanding is that copyright cannot be claimed
      on reproductions of public domain works that have had nothing added
      (see http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf for information on what
      constitutes a derivative work, and also section 5 of
      http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/10-misconceptions-about-the-public-domain.html).
      Note also that Google Books requests that its scans of public domain
      books not be used commercially, but considers it a matter of good
      netiquette, not law; see
      http://www.publicdomaintreasurehunter.com/2010/10/02/is-it-ok-to-use-googles-public-domain-books-for-commercial-purposes/
      for more on this.

      But if you want to request that the Internet Archive remove the scans
      to prevent more people from viewing or downloading the work from their
      site, see the "Copyright Policy" section at the end of
      http://archive.org/about/terms.php.

      John

      --
      John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
      JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
        This thread is now closed.
        I personally am a supporter of free, open access and I welcome everyone who is making manuscript images accessible.

      • Peter Streitenberger
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
          Dear TC-Friends,

          is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the New Testament?
          Yours
          Peter, Germany
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            > is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the
            > New Testament?

            Define/specify "there" and "sound".
            There's the Vulgate from the German Bible Society.

            --------------------------
            Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
            Textcritical commentary:
            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

            Please check out the TC forum:
            http://tcg.iphpbb3.com
          • Peter Streitenberger
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              Dear Wieland,

              I already got what I wanted:
              Here is the big Wordsworth-White for the Gospels:

              http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum01whit#page/170/mode/2up

              and then for Acts:

              http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentu00wordgoog#page/n8/mode/2up

              And again for Acts, the General Epistles, and Revelation:

              http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum03whit#page/n5/mode/2up

              All that is missing is Paul...

              There is antother big edition of the Vetus Latina at the Beuron Institute but far too expensive – at least for me.

              Yours
              Peter

              Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:37 PM
              Subject: RE: [textualcriticism] Latin vulgate

              > is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the

              New Testament?

              Define/specify "there" and "sound".
              There's the Vulgate from the German Bible Society.

              --------------------------
              Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
              http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              Textcritical commentary:
              http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

              Please check out the TC forum:
              http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

            • pino de martino
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                Latin Vulgate

                Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiguae : seu, Vetus italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... Petri Sabatier .. (1743) Tomus primus

                http://archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru01saba#page/n7/mode/2up

                Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiguae : seu, Vetus italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... Petri Sabatier .. (1743) Tomus secundus

                http://archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru02saba#page/n7/mode/2up

                Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiquae, seu Vetus Italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... D. Petri Sabatier .. tomus tertius (1751)

                http://archive.org/details/BibliorumSacrorumLatinaeVersionesAntiquaeSeuVetusItalicaEtCaeterae

                > Here is the big Wordsworth-White for the Gospels:
                >
                > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum01whit#page/170/mode/2up
                >
                > and then for Acts:
                >
                > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentu00wordgoog#page/n8/mode/2up
                >
                > And again for Acts, the General Epistles, and Revelation:
                >
                > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum03whit#page/n5/mode/2up
                >
                > All that is missing is Paul...
                >
                > There is antother big edition of the Vetus Latina at the Beuron Institute but far too expensive – at least for me.
                >
                > Yours
                > Peter

              • Francisco J. Veismann
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                  Hi

                  There is also the Neo-Vulgate,i.e. the new edition published under the auspices of the Vatican some years ago.
                  I do not know if it is on line.

                  Kind regards.

                  avi weizmann
                • TeunisV
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2013
                    This is not the "classical" Vulgate.
                    Compare message 6786 of this list.
                    Teunis van Lopik

                    --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Francisco J. Veismann" wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > There is also the Neo-Vulgate,i.e. the new edition published under the
                    > auspices of the Vatican some years ago.
                    > I do not know if it is on line.
                    >
                    > Kind regards.
                    >
                    > avi weizmann

                  • mydogregae01
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                      I am not sure what you mean by "critical" edition, one which has an apparatus?
                      Or an accurate edition? And which "Vulgate"?

                      An accurate edition of THE 1592 Vulgate is freely available here, with
                      a searchable and printable text. It is a great program again free via Michael Tweedale of Oxford. Program is available here:

                      http://www.biblical-data.org/LATIN_Resources/Latin_Main.html

                      sincerely,
                      Mr. Gary Dykes
                      www.Biblical-data.org