CSNTM and Codex Sinaiticus

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
      Robert,

      Hmm; now you know how the monks at St. Catherine's felt.

      I don't know how the images of Lake's 1911 book were posted, or why there is a "Public Domain Mark 1.0" notice attached to it.

      I'm not familiar with the intricate details of copyright-law. Perhaps the pirate supposed that photographs of the pages of a printed book are essentially like scans of the pages of a book; one can reproduce and distribute scans of a copyright-expired printed book without stealing anything from the author of the book, the owner of the book, or from the person who made the scans (particularly if that person is himself distributing the scans for free). But in any event, um, the book is over 100 years old, and thus no longer in copyright. Why hasn't CSNTM already made its contents freely available as a PDF?

      Those who don't want to have to be on the internet to access images of Codex Sinaiticus, and who do not want to criminally cooperate with the avaricious black-hearted villainous no-good pirate who somehow made a PDF from CSNTM's images and made it available at Archive.org, can resort to the CD of the NT portion of Lake's images (in black and white) that is available for $10 at http://solascripturapublishing.com (see item #23).

      Back to the subject of the pseudo-translation at the Codex Sinaiticus website: at those places at the CSNTM site where the Codex Sinaiticus website is mentioned, could you arrange, the next time the site is updated, the addition of a cautionary note that the English translation at the Codex Sinaiticus site does not accurately reflect the contents of Codex Sinaiticus?

    • John McChesney-Young
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
        On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM, robertdmarcello <rmarcello@...>
        wrote in part:

        > [The presence of the page images at Archive.org] misleads site visitors since these images were not given permission to be published on a different website and are not credited.

        I'm puzzled by the latter part of the statement, because the linked
        page (http://archive.org/details/GA_01) explicitly says "Scans from
        csntm.org/manuscript."

        > If you happen to know how they were posted or why the site incorrectly indicates that they are copyright free, it may be helpful to let CSNTM know.

        Many scans are uploaded by users wanting to share works they think are
        not covered by copyright, and the site admins probably didn't think
        the scans were other than copyright-free because they are of a work
        published in 1911, which in the US puts it in the public domain. I am
        not a lawyer, but my understanding is that copyright cannot be claimed
        on reproductions of public domain works that have had nothing added
        (see http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf for information on what
        constitutes a derivative work, and also section 5 of
        http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/10-misconceptions-about-the-public-domain.html).
        Note also that Google Books requests that its scans of public domain
        books not be used commercially, but considers it a matter of good
        netiquette, not law; see
        http://www.publicdomaintreasurehunter.com/2010/10/02/is-it-ok-to-use-googles-public-domain-books-for-commercial-purposes/
        for more on this.

        But if you want to request that the Internet Archive remove the scans
        to prevent more people from viewing or downloading the work from their
        site, see the "Copyright Policy" section at the end of
        http://archive.org/about/terms.php.

        John

        --
        John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
        JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
          This thread is now closed.
          I personally am a supporter of free, open access and I welcome everyone who is making manuscript images accessible.

        • Peter Streitenberger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
            Dear TC-Friends,

            is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the New Testament?
            Yours
            Peter, Germany
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              > is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the
              > New Testament?

              Define/specify "there" and "sound".
              There's the Vulgate from the German Bible Society.

              --------------------------
              Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
              http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              Textcritical commentary:
              http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

              Please check out the TC forum:
              http://tcg.iphpbb3.com
            • Peter Streitenberger
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
                Dear Wieland,

                I already got what I wanted:
                Here is the big Wordsworth-White for the Gospels:

                http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum01whit#page/170/mode/2up

                and then for Acts:

                http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentu00wordgoog#page/n8/mode/2up

                And again for Acts, the General Epistles, and Revelation:

                http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum03whit#page/n5/mode/2up

                All that is missing is Paul...

                There is antother big edition of the Vetus Latina at the Beuron Institute but far too expensive – at least for me.

                Yours
                Peter

                Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:37 PM
                Subject: RE: [textualcriticism] Latin vulgate

                > is there a sound critical edition of the latin vulgate for the

                New Testament?

                Define/specify "there" and "sound".
                There's the Vulgate from the German Bible Society.

                --------------------------
                Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                Textcritical commentary:
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                Please check out the TC forum:
                http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

              • pino de martino
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                  Latin Vulgate

                  Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiguae : seu, Vetus italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... Petri Sabatier .. (1743) Tomus primus

                  http://archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru01saba#page/n7/mode/2up

                  Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiguae : seu, Vetus italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... Petri Sabatier .. (1743) Tomus secundus

                  http://archive.org/stream/bibliorumsacroru02saba#page/n7/mode/2up

                  Bibliorum Sacrorum latinae versiones antiquae, seu Vetus Italica, et caeterae quaecunque in codicibus mss. & antiquorum libris reperiri potuerunt : quae cum Vulgata latina, & cum textu graeco comparantur ... Operâ & studio ... D. Petri Sabatier .. tomus tertius (1751)

                  http://archive.org/details/BibliorumSacrorumLatinaeVersionesAntiquaeSeuVetusItalicaEtCaeterae

                  > Here is the big Wordsworth-White for the Gospels:
                  >
                  > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum01whit#page/170/mode/2up
                  >
                  > and then for Acts:
                  >
                  > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentu00wordgoog#page/n8/mode/2up
                  >
                  > And again for Acts, the General Epistles, and Revelation:
                  >
                  > http://archive.org/stream/nouumtestamentum03whit#page/n5/mode/2up
                  >
                  > All that is missing is Paul...
                  >
                  > There is antother big edition of the Vetus Latina at the Beuron Institute but far too expensive – at least for me.
                  >
                  > Yours
                  > Peter

                • Francisco J. Veismann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Hi

                    There is also the Neo-Vulgate,i.e. the new edition published under the auspices of the Vatican some years ago.
                    I do not know if it is on line.

                    Kind regards.

                    avi weizmann
                  • TeunisV
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2013
                      This is not the "classical" Vulgate.
                      Compare message 6786 of this list.
                      Teunis van Lopik

                      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Francisco J. Veismann" wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > There is also the Neo-Vulgate,i.e. the new edition published under the
                      > auspices of the Vatican some years ago.
                      > I do not know if it is on line.
                      >
                      > Kind regards.
                      >
                      > avi weizmann

                    • mydogregae01
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                        I am not sure what you mean by "critical" edition, one which has an apparatus?
                        Or an accurate edition? And which "Vulgate"?

                        An accurate edition of THE 1592 Vulgate is freely available here, with
                        a searchable and printable text. It is a great program again free via Michael Tweedale of Oxford. Program is available here:

                        http://www.biblical-data.org/LATIN_Resources/Latin_Main.html

                        sincerely,
                        Mr. Gary Dykes
                        www.Biblical-data.org