Re: Papyrus 1 (Matthew)

  • Michael Theophilos
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
      There does not seem to be an online
      digital copy but if you check the
      printed edition of the Oxyrhynchus
      series volume 1 - P.Oxy 2 (ie. it is the
      second published papyrus) for a
      transcription. I seem to remember
      there being a greyscale photograph
      of it in an appendix of the same volume.

      The details are as follows
      The Oxyrhynchus papyri / edited with
      translations and notes. Grenfell, Bernard
      P. (Bernard Pyne), 1869-1926 and Hunt,
      Arthur S. (Arthur Surridge), 1871-1934.
      Egypt Exploration Society.Egypt
      Exploration Fund. ISBN/ISSN: 0306-9222

      If you are still unable to get a copy I could
      get a scan done of the photo we have on file
      over in the papyrology rooms.

      Michael Theophilos
      Pembroke College
      University of Oxford
    • Tommy Wasserman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
        Andrew,

        I also found a plate of Papyrus 1 in E. Nestle's Einführung in das
        Griechische Neue Testament, (4th revised ed. by E. von Dobschütz,
        Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1923) in my bookshelf. The plate
        (plate 1) shows only the page with Matthew 1:1-12.

        Tommy Wasserman
        Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
        Lund University
        Sweden

        2005-04-26 kl. 18.07 skrev Michael Theophilos:

        > There does not seem to be an online
        > digital copy but if you check the
        > printed edition of the Oxyrhynchus
        > series volume 1 - P.Oxy 2 (ie. it is the
        > second published papyrus) for a
        > transcription. I seem to remember
        > there being a greyscale photograph
        > of it in an appendix of the same volume.
        >
        > The details are as follows
        > The Oxyrhynchus papyri / edited with
        > translations and notes. Grenfell, Bernard
        > P. (Bernard Pyne), 1869-1926 and Hunt,
        > Arthur S. (Arthur Surridge), 1871-1934.
        > Egypt Exploration Society.Egypt
        > Exploration Fund. ISBN/ISSN: 0306-9222
        >
        > If you are still unable to get a copy I could
        > get a scan done of the photo we have on file
        > over in the papyrology rooms.
        >
        > Michael Theophilos
        > Pembroke College
        > University of Oxford
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Theophilos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
          For details of papyri including Reference,
          Date, Contents, Bibliog, Plates etc... you
          can't go past Peter Head's online
          "Early Greek Bible Mss Project: NT Papyri."
          http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/NTPapyri.htm
          An excellent resource with detailed footnotes.

          Michael Theophilos
          Pembroke College
          University of Oxford
        • Timothy Arthur Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
            Hello Andrew,

            I've just posted a scan of Papyrus 1 taken from Volume I of the
            Oxyrhynchus Papyri, 1898. This frontispiece is a collotype print and
            not a mere black and white halftone image. http://www.musar.com/p1.jpg

            If you would like a photographic reproduction for your own research, 8 x
            10 B&W prints are available through the Photographic Archives of the
            University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology.
            Specify E2746 - S4-140073 - Papyrus Fragment. The last time I checked
            prices about a year ago, the
            cost of a single print was only $15.

            Their e-mail address is photographicarchives@... and the
            phone number is 215-898-6720.