Greek Orthodox Manuscript Glosses in Hebrew

  • spuluka
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2012
      I am posting this query on behalf of a colleague from a Hebrew studies list.

      If you have relevant information, you can contact Dr. Sandman directly with the
      information below. If you prefer to only discuss on the list, I will forward
      all responses to him as well.

      Steve Puluka
      MA, Theology Duquesne University
      Cantor Holy Ghost Church
      Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
      Mckees Rocks, PA
      http://puluka.com

      ---------

      B.H.

      I am trying to date and localize Hebrew glosses in a Greek Orthodox
      manuscript from the early 12th century. The Hebrew glosses are not part of
      the original manuscript plan; they were clearly added later. In addition to
      paleographical analysis, which seems to yield ambiguous results, I would
      like to include analysis of the content of the glosses.

      The vast majority of these glosses are indications of the weekly parshiyot
      (Pentateuchal pericopes). From Parshat Metzora', viz. the pericope
      beginning with Leviticus chapter 14, and onward, the names of the weekly
      readings are arranged as a mnemonic, with one word per pericope. (It is
      clear that the mnemonic began earlier, but in this manuscript the mnemonic
      was employed only from this point and onward.) I hope that by combining the
      localization and dating this mnemonic with paleographical analysis I shall
      be able to localize and date the scribing of these Hebrew glosses, and,
      hopefully, come closer to accounting for their presence in this manuscript.

      If anyone has any information relevant to this mnemonic -- information
      about its origins, use, or my translation, or anything else -- or any ideas
      as to where I may be able to discover anything about it, please let me
      know. I can be contacted at is.m.sandman@....
      Thanks in advance,
      Israel M. Sandman
      University College London

      Here is the mnemonic, followed by my tentative translation:
      תטהר אחר
      יקדשנה הכהן
      בסיני וחוקה
      במדבר נשאו
      ונתעלו אנשי
      קרח כפרה וירא
      פנחס
      ומטות הסיע
      דברי תחנונים
      השמיע ראיתה
      שופטים
      ומלחמות באות
      אתם תלך
      ומשמים
      תתברכו.
      English translation of the mnemonic: (Due to English syntax, the order was
      occasionally changed; but the correct order is indicated by the
      pericope-number that follows each translation - again, beginning from
      Leviticus ch. 14, Parshat Metzora', the 28th pericope in the Pentateuch.)
      Be Purified. (28) | Afterwards (29) | The Priest (31) | Will Sanctify Her /
      It (30) | At Sinai. (32) | They Did Bear (35) | (Its) Statute (33) | In the
      Wilderness, (34) | and the Men of (37) | Korah (38) | Were Uplifted (36) |
      [With] Atonement. (39) | Phinehas (41) | Beheld, (40) | And The Tribes (42)
      | Did He Cause To Journey [Onward]. (43) | Words of (44) | Supplications
      for Grace (45) | Did He Cause To Be Heard. (46) | You Beheld (47) | Judges
      (48) | And Wars (49) | Coming. (50) | You (51) | Proceed, (52) | And From
      The Heavens (53) | Will You Be Blessed. (54).