Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research 2012: thoughts on lectionary article

  • chris jordan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2012
      I have just browsed Osburn's 'revised' article on lectionaries (pp. 93-113)-very disappointing.

      The article is Chapter Four of the book and has three subheadings: 1. The Greek Lectionaries 2. The Use and Study of Lectionaries and 3. The Text of Greek Lectionaries in Current Scholarship.

      The first section is a brief overview of the content of lectionaries and a discussion of origin. The second section is mostly a review of the Chicago Project (1930s-1950s). The third section (2 and 1/2 pages long) begins with a discussion of IGNTP work citing Colwell's 1968 IGNTP status report in JBL and then reference is made to the present work of the IGNTP on lectionaries citing Parker's 1990 NTS article on IGNTP John. These dated references stretch the meaning of 'current scholarship' a little too far in my opinion. I am sure that contact with the present IGNTP committee about the lectionary phase of the John project would have resulted in at least one paragraph relating to current lectionary scholarship.

      There is no mention of Kellett's 2007 PhD dissertation or Jordan's 2009 PhD thesis on lectionaries; no reference to other useful studies previously omitted in the first edition such as Rutz's 1962 Concordia dissertation on the archetype of lectionaries; and no information on liturgical projects such as the CBM project based in Amsterdam, which studies Byzantine MSS (incl. lectionaries) in their liturgical context.

      The last sentence of the article refers to the need for more lectionary research (which is very true) but is quite ironic in light of some recent efforts to research the lectionary tradition: "As Vaganay and Amphoux have put it, 'nine tenths of the work is still to be done and the results will have to be patiently awaited'."

      Chris Jordan