Re: Distigmai (Umlauts): A Question About Their Purpose

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
      Hi James,

      You could test the hypothesis using a statistical method. See, e.g., pages 82-83 of the PDF of part 2 of my PhD dissertation:

      http://www.tfinney.net/PhD/PDF/part2.pdf

      (Search for "David Payne (1995)".)

      A chi-squared test of expected vs observed frequencies might be a good place to start. The trick will be estimating the expected frequency. I.e. how does one estimate the expected frequency of what the scribe of Codex Vaticanus thought was "a once-used word or some other anomalous feature"?

      Best,

      Tim Finney