Re: [textualcriticism] Vaticanus OT online? Other online resources for OT TC?

  • Robert Relyea
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
      On 11/09/2012 07:15 AM, Jim Darlack wrote: [if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" /> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" /> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif] |**|begin egp html banner|**|

      Does anyone know of a free (legal) source of images of Vaticanus online?

      I photographed the Volumes I, II, & III of the 1904-1907 black and white facsimile of the codex Vaticanus ( don't have volume IV, which is the New Testament). Codex Vaticanus (1904–07) (Vaticanus graecus 1209) facs.: Bibliorum SS. Graecorum Codex Vaticanus 1209 (Cod. B) denuo phototypice expressus iussu et cura praesidium bibliothecae Vaticanae. Testamentum vetus et novum, 4 vols (Milan).

      I don't have it online anywhere, but I'm willing to release my images to someone willing to host them.

      bob

    • bucksburg
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
        The Creation Museum in Kentucky is hosting some rare books from the Van Kempen Collection. Most of them are in a guarded room with no cameras allowed. But one of them is an opened facsimile of Codex Vaticanus, on display near Noah's Ark with no such prohibitions posted.

        I suppose I could take a picture of that page (probably NT, though) and post it to the group--but might this already be available elsewhere?

        There's also a display of Paul penning one of his epistles--using a very odd uncial font, in which Pi and Gamma are barely distinguishable. I could make out individual words (fully written-out NS) but not identify the text (Paul apparently didn't spell all that well when Tertius wasn't around).

        Noah's list of supplies being taken on board is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform, but that's for another forum.

        Daniel Buck
      • Danger
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
          Daniel, et al.

          You mentioned that "Noah's list of supplies... is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform," but that this is "for another forum."

          Please, please tell me where such a forum is. I would love to join it. (Sreiously: I enjoy this present group a lot, but where can I find a vigorous group of Biblical Hebrew scholars with whom to interact online?).

          Best,

          Chris

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

          > The Creation Museum in Kentucky is hosting some rare books from the Van Kempen Collection. Most of them are in a guarded room with no cameras allowed. But one of them is an opened facsimile of Codex Vaticanus, on display near Noah's Ark with no such prohibitions posted.
          >
          > I suppose I could take a picture of that page (probably NT, though) and post it to the group--but might this already be available elsewhere?
          >
          > There's also a display of Paul penning one of his epistles--using a very odd uncial font, in which Pi and Gamma are barely distinguishable. I could make out individual words (fully written-out NS) but not identify the text (Paul apparently didn't spell all that well when Tertius wasn't around).
          >
          > Noah's list of supplies being taken on board is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform, but that's for another forum.
          >
          > Daniel Buck

        • bucksburg
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 24, 2012
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, <sigebryht@...> wrote:
            >> You mentioned that "Noah's list of supplies... is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform," but that this is "for another forum."<<

            b-hebrew@... is an email list for discussing Biblical Hebrew--similar to the former b-Greek list that many of us were on before it moved to an online forum. Just send them a 'subscribe' message.

            BTW, I was able to identify the text of Paul's papyrus manuscript: 2 Timothy 3:15-17. What threw me off the most was the uncial ligature of EI, which I first took for a squared-off B, as the two letters are completely merged into each other. I also at first took U for N since it is written as a sans-serif V. The fact that I had to view the display upside-down wasn't a big hindrance, but it certainly didn't help any.

            An interesting note: Not counting the DSS fragment facsimile, there are a total of six Hebrew manuscripts in the display, including a Karaite prayer book from the Cairo Geniza, and none of them have the Masoretic vocalization (I'm not altogether sure about the burned Torah Scroll from Romania, as it was upside-down and rolled up, but I couldn't see any in the little text that was visible). All that work on the seven crowned letters, using an incredibly fine stroke, but no vocalizations.